Wisconsin-based Secura Insurance was founded in 1900 and, through independent insurance agents, provides coverage in 12 states: Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota and Wisconsin. The company hopes to “make insurance genuine” by motivating its employees to conduct themselves with honesty and integrity. If you are shopping for personal insurance and would like to have coverage from a trusted provider, the Secura Insurance Company may be a good option.
Secura car insurance
Secura Insurance does car insurance a little differently. While most coverages offered by the top vehicle insurance carriers are “a la carte” so you can pick and choose the types of endorsements you need, Secura packages its insurance options. Mile-Stone is Secura’s car and home insurance package. Available as Mile-Stone Basic or Gold, the advantage of buying the Mile-Stone package is that you will only have one payment to make and a shared deductible for your home and auto insurance.
Types of coverage
- Mile-Stone Basic: This package includes basic auto coverage including liability insurance and adds golf cart liability while on the course and pet protection for up to $500 per pet and $1,500 per accident in coverage.
- Mile-Stone Gold: This package adds several endorsements including roadside and travel assistance, expanded golf cart liability to include areas outside of the golf course, an auto rental allowance of up to $60 per day and gap coverage, known as auto loan/lease insurance.
Cost of Secura car insurance
Bundling home and auto insurance has its advantages — the Secura Insurance Company has lower than average premiums when compared to other car insurance companies. The average premium for minimum coverage insurance is just $255 per year. For full coverage, which includes insurance that pays for repairs and replacement of your vehicle, the average annual premium is $864. This is substantially lower than the average cost of insurance in the United States, which is $563 per year for minimum coverage and $1,738 per year for full coverage.
|Average Annual Premium for Minimum Coverage||Average Annual Premium for Full Coverage|
Quadrant Information Services, 2020
Secura offers a variety of discounts to help policyholders tailor their coverage to meet their needs. These discounts include:
- Hybrid car: Hybrid vehicle drivers may qualify for a discount from Secura.
- Good student: Drivers between the ages of 16 to 24 and enrolled full time in school may qualify for a discount if they have at least a 3.0 grade point average.
- Claim/violation-free: Avoiding traffic citations and accidents can earn you discounts over time.
- Select pay: Paying in full or setting up automatic electronic fund transfers (ETF) could lower your insurance cost.
- Early quote: If you receive a quote before the effective date, you can earn savings on your policy.
- Financial stability: Policyholders with good credit may qualify for additional savings.
- Valued policyholder: The longer you are insured with the Secura Insurance Company, the more you may save with this loyalty discount.
Secura home insurance
Homeowners insurance is required by your lender as long as you pay a monthly mortgage. The best homeowners insurance companies all provide coverage for your home and its contents. Secura’s premium prices are competitive because the carrier packages home and auto insurance into two Mile-Stone insurance bundles.
Types of coverage
- Mile-Stone Basic: This package comes with a home repair or replacement cost of 100% of the dwelling limit, coverage for sewer and drain line backup up to a $1,000 limit and coverage for higher-value items such as firearms, jewelry and furs for $2,000 to $2,500 maximum per item.
- Mile-Stone Gold: This option expands on the Basic package with 125% of the limit for home repair or replacement, identity theft protection, a $5,000 limit for sewer and drain line backup, $10,000 in high-value item coverage and an extra mortgage expense of $250 per month.
Just as with their auto insurance, Secura offers home discounts to help policyholders lower their premium:
- Umbrella insurance: Adding an umbrella policy may qualify you for a discount on your home insurance premium.
- Protective device: Properly-maintained smoke alarms and fire extinguishers can help you save on your home insurance.
- New home credit: Homes built within the last 10 years may qualify for this credit.
- Select pay: When you arrange to pay your premiums with electronic fund transfers or pay your annual premium in full, you may receive a discount.
- Early quote: Getting a quote before your policy effective date may qualify you for a discount.
- Financial stability: A good credit score can help you save on your homeowners insurance.
- Valued policyholder: Secura Insurance rewards loyal policyholders with lower premiums as you continue your relationship with the carrier.
Reasons why Secura is a good option
Secura is a solid option for home and auto insurance. The policies are bundled into one of two options — a lower-cost Mile-Stone Basic package and an upgraded Mile-Stone Gold package, which offers plenty of extra perks such as higher limits, roadside and travel assistance.
Secura ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
The Secura Insurance Company has strong financial stability, earning an A from AM Best. The grade is important when you are considering insurance companies. Financially strong insurance companies are more likely to be able to pay claims in the event of a large-scale emergency that causes widespread losses.
Secura is not large or well-known enough to rank in the J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Study for car or home insurance at this time, but when looking at the customer complaint index from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Secura ranks well below the baseline 1.0 rating. Its rating of 0.27 means that Secura receives fewer complaints than average.
Additional policies offered by Secura
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a quote from Secura?
To get a quote from Secura Insurance, you will need to find a local agent. At this time, Secura Insurance does not offer an online quote tool. Be prepared to provide the name, date of birth and license numbers for every driver in your household, plus information like your address, the year, make, and model of your car and your car’s VIN.
How do I file a claim with Secura?
There are four ways to file a claim with Secura Insurance:
- By filling out an online claim form.
- By calling 800-318-2136 for Central/Eastern areas or 866-356-7870 for Mountain zones.
- By sending an email to email@example.com. Provide photos for faster service.
- By faxing supporting documents to 800-318-2209.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean driving record, good credit and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverages that meet each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2018 Honda Accord, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.