Given that it boasts over 100 years of experience in the insurance industry, it’s no surprise that Liberty Mutual offers a broad range of coverage types. As the fifth-largest property and casualty insurer in the U.S., it’s the insurer of choice for many people looking to protect homes, cars, motorcycles, boats, pet, rentals and businesses.
Liberty Mutual’s car insurance coverage options are extensive too. The insurer offers a number of benefits for its insured, including a variety of discounts and digital tools. But when digging into Liberty Mutual reviews, expect to find reports of challenges when filing claims. If you’re willing to put in a little extra work when you need to file a claim, you might find that Liberty Mutual’s expansive coverage options, discounts and user-friendly online system make it an ideal fit for you.
Liberty Mutual insurance coverage options and discounts
On top of the standard coverage options such as liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured motorist, Liberty Mutual stands out by offering several unique add-ons for expanding your coverage. These options help add to happy Liberty Mutual auto insurance reviews.
- Accident forgiveness: If you are an accident- and violation-free for five years, this coverage offers you a free pass — your rate won’t go up after your first accident.
- Lifetime repair guarantee: As long as you use Liberty Mutual-approved shops, the company will arrange your repairs and guarantee them for as long as you own the car.
- New car replacement: If your new car is totaled with less than 15,000 miles, Liberty Mutual will fund a brand new vehicle, not just one equivalent to your car’s depreciated value.
- Better car replacement: For older vehicles that are totaled, the insurer will give you enough cash to buy a car one model year newer and with 15,000 fewer miles.
- Deductible Fund: Pay $30 extra on your annual premium and lower your deductible by $100 each year.
- Gap insurance: If your totaled car’s replacement value is lower than what you owe on a loan or lease, Liberty Mutual will cover the difference.
- Teacher’s auto insurance: This unique policy, which comes at no extra cost, offers extra coverage for teachers for vandalism, collisions and personal property for incidents at school or driving to and from work. This option is not available in all states.
Liberty Mutual offers a wide range of discounts for its auto policy owners as well. You would be hard-pressed not to find several discounts that you can take advantage of. These vary by state, but options include:
- Personal discounts: Whether you’re a homeowner, in the military or a good student, Liberty Mutual offers a discount for you. Especially enticing for renewing customers: the company offers up to 45% off a policy renewal if you get a quote with Liberty Mutual before your current policy expires.
- Vehicle discounts: Get lower rates for advanced safety features, energy efficiency or anti-theft technology.
- Driving discounts: Get rewarded for your safe driving record. Most notable is Liberty Mutual’s RightTrack program, which uses a smart tracking device and app to earn you savings of up to 30% on your premium for your safe driving habits.
- Policy discounts: Rate savings are available for policyholders with more than one car and multiple policies, as well as those who pay up front, purchase online or enroll in autopay.
Liberty Mutual home insurance policies cover the usual necessities — your dwelling, personal property, liability and any additional living expenses — but you can also add specific coverage for:
- Personal property that exceeds the normal $1,000 value
- Property value inflation
- Identity theft, including lost wages and legal expenses
Liberty Mutual offers a number of discounts for its homeowners insurance policies. Depending on where you live, you might qualify for discounts for:
- Bundling home and auto policies
- Staying claims-free for three years or more (or five years if you’re switching from another insurer)
- Protecting your home with various safety and security devices
- Purchasing a newly built home or performing renovations
- Adding a new roof
- Being a military veteran or in active service
- Choosing autopay
- Going paperless
Liberty Mutual home insurance reviews are generally positive.
A standard renters insurance policy with Liberty Mutual covers your personal property along with liability for damages to others’ property and their medical expenses for injuries incurred on your rental property. You’ll also be covered for additional living expenses if you’re displaced from your rental for reasons including fire, tornado or other severe weather. Earthquake coverage requires an additional premium. You can also add on expanded coverage for the replacement value on specific property items or jewelry.
Discounts for renters are more limited than for the other Liberty Mutual policy types, but the company does offer rate drops for bundling policies, staying claim-free for five years and enrolling in autopay. You can also save up to 45% on your renewal if you get a quote with Liberty Mutual before your current policy expires. These options vary by state.
Liberty Mutual ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
With so many coverage types, a wide variety of discounts and the many positive Liberty Mutual insurance reviews Liberty Mutual may seem like an ideal choice for covering your car, home or rental property. But it’s worth noting that you should anticipate at least a small headache if you need to file a claim.
Take, for example, the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, an annual third-party study ranking providers. Liberty Mutual ranked 17 out of 25 auto insurance providers with a three out of five rating in customer satisfaction during the claims process. That said, it still scored 857 points on the 1,000-point satisfaction index rating (compared to 898 for the winner), so its low ranking is more cause for awareness than alarm. It’s also worth noting that the company jumped four spots in a year, from 21st in the 2018 rankings.
What is disconcerting, however, is the company’s customer rating with the Better Business Bureau, a nationally recognized independent organization offering business ratings. Although the BBB gives Liberty Mutual an A ranking, its customers seem less than pleased, given that the aggregate customer review is barely over one star. Factor in the National Association of Insurance Commissioners Complaint Ratio Trend Report for Liberty Mutual, which shows Liberty Mutual has nearly five times as many complaints as the national average, and a theme emerges. Filing a claim with Liberty Mutual has historically been no easy feat.
Why Liberty Mutual might be right for you
Liberty Mutual is working on the company’s technological innovation. Now, you can file your claim online or from its mobile app. You can even upload photos or get on a video chat for a quick estimate for your repair costs. It also offers The Liberty Mutual Claims Valet Service™, through which the company sends a driver to both deliver your replacement car while your car is being repaired and to take your car to the shop for you (assuming it’s drivable).
Plus, Liberty Mutual makes it easy to track your claim — and the payment coming your way — from your online account. This is just a small sample of the way Liberty Mutual leverages its website and mobile app to make life easier for its insured. In addition to filing and tracking claims, you can digitally manage your policies, pay your bills and get your ID cards.
On top of digital ease-of-use, Liberty Mutual’s draw comes from their variety of coverage and discount options. Want your car’s coverage to pay for repairs even when they’re not accident-related? Easy. Get the vehicle service plan called ForeverCar™.
Want to upgrade your ride? Buy their Better Car Replacement™ coverage and if your car is totaled, it will replace it with a car that’s one model year newer and has 15,000 fewer miles.
Worried about being able to pay your deductible? Enroll in the Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund®. Each year, you pay $30 and Liberty Mutual contributes $100 to a deductible fund. That fund grows year after year as a source you can tap any time you need money to cover a Liberty Mutual deductible.
Additional policies offered by Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual, like most other insurers, offers you discounts if you bundle your car insurance with other policies it provides. Some of your other personal insurance options include:
- Antique and classic cars
- ATV, off-road and recreational vehicles
- Mobile home
- Critical illness
- Small business
On top of this, Liberty Mutual offers a wide range of commercial coverage options.
Frequently asked questions
Still have questions? We’ve answered some of your most frequently asked questions below.
How do I know how much Liberty Mutual car insurance to buy?
Determining the right level of coverage for yourself can be challenging. Liberty Mutual offers a handy Car Insurance Coverage Calculator to help.
What do I need to get a quote from Liberty Mutual?
Getting your Liberty Mutual car insurance quote is easy online. If your car is registered to your address, simply inputting where you live will pull up your car info. Then, you need to know its safety features, year and estimated annual mileage. With a little more personal info and a quick writeup on any accidents, violations or auto insurance claims you’ve had in the last seven years, you’re on your way to getting your quote.
How do I get my Liberty Mutual ID cards?
You don’t have to wait to get ID cards in the mail from Liberty Mutual. . It has a page on its site that makes it easy to grab your ID cards online, even if you don’t have login information easily accessible.
How do I file a claim with Liberty Mutual?
You can file your claim by calling the company, using its mobile app or website. If you use the mobile app, you’ll be able to send pictures of the relevant damages right from the app.
Liberty Mutual also offers a help page on its site to clue you into what to expect during the claims submission process. Once submitted, you can digitally track your claim and ask questions about its progress.