Liberty Mutual was founded in 1912 and today ranks as the fifth-largest property and casualty insurance carrier in the U.S. based on its 2020 direct premiums written of $36.2 billion, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
Boston-headquartered Liberty Mutual offers a variety of insurance products, including home, auto, renters, motorcycle, pet, life, business insurance and more to customers throughout all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
Liberty Mutual customers can get access to some great benefits, including robust coverage options and numerous discounts and digital tools. However, there are some downsides to consider, particularly when it comes to customer satisfaction. Bankrate reviewed Liberty Mutual’s home, auto and life insurance offerings based on coverage, third-party ratings, financial strength and more.
Liberty Mutual car insurance
On top of the standard car insurance coverage options such as liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured motorist insurance, Liberty Mutual stands out for offering several unique add-ons that can expand your coverage. Auto insurance options include:
- Roadside assistance: If your vehicle breaks down, 24/7 roadside assistance coverage helps pay for towing, battery replacement, fuel delivery and more.
- Accident forgiveness: If you are accident- and violation-free for five years, accident forgiveness coverage keeps your rate from increasing after your first accident.
- Lifetime repair guarantee: As long as you use Liberty Mutual-approved shops, the company will arrange your repairs and guarantee them for as long as you own your vehicle.
- New car replacement: If your new vehicle is totaled with less than 15,000 miles, Liberty Mutual will fund a brand new vehicle, not just one equivalent to your car’s depreciated value.
- Better car replacement: For older vehicles that are totaled, the insurer will give you enough cash to buy a car one model year newer and with 15,000 fewer miles.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, Liberty Mutual will pay for a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired.
- Original parts replacement: This allows you to replace damaged car parts that are either original parts from the manufacturer or estimated to be of comparable value.
- Deductible fund: Pay $30 extra on your annual premium and lower your deductible by $100 each year.
- Gap insurance: If your totaled vehicle’s replacement value is lower than what you owe on a loan or lease, Liberty Mutual will cover the difference.
- Teacher’s auto insurance: This unique policy offers extra coverage for teachers for vandalism, collisions and personal property for incidents that occur while at school or driving to and from work. This option is not available in all states.
- Mexico insurance: If you are planning to drive into Mexico, you can purchase special coverage from MexPro through Liberty Mutual. Standard auto insurance policies do not apply outside the U.S.
Liberty Mutual offers a wide range of discounts that could help lower the cost of your car insurance policy. There may even be several discounts that you can take advantage of. Liberty Mutual’s discounts vary by state, but some common options include:
- Personal discounts: Whether you are a homeowner, in the military, a good student or a student living away at school, Liberty Mutual may offer a discount for you. If you are a new customer, the company offers a discount off a policy renewal if you get a quote with Liberty Mutual before your current policy expires.
- Vehicle discounts: Get lower rates for advanced safety features, energy efficiency or anti-theft technology.
- Driving discounts: Get rewarded for your safe driving record. Most notable is Liberty Mutual’s RightTrack usage-based insurance program, which uses a smart tracking device and app to earn you savings of up to 30% on your premium for your safe driving habits. You can also save money if you are accident-free and violation-free.
- Policy discounts: Rate savings are available for policyholders with more than one car and multiple policies (such as auto and home), as well as those who pay upfront, purchase online, sign up for paperless policy statements or enroll in autopay.
Liberty Mutual home insurance
Liberty Mutual home insurance policies provide standard coverages including your dwelling, personal property, liability and any additional living expenses — plus a variety of extras. Here are the add-on coverages you can purchase from Liberty Mutual:
- Personal property replacement cost: If your personal items get damaged in a covered event, Liberty Mutual will pay you the current market cost to replace them.
- Blanket jewelry: Homeowners who keep expensive jewelry in their home will benefit from blanket jewelry coverage, which will replace your jewelry if it gets lost or stolen, with no deductible or appraisal needed.
- Hurricane coverage: Will cover property damage related to a hurricane.
- Water damage: Liberty Mutual will cover the damages if you get water damage in your home that is caused by a backup or overflow.
- Inflation protection: Inflation protection coverage automatically adjusts your coverage limits based on changes in inflation when your policy renews.
Liberty Mutual offers a number of discounts that can help you lower the cost of your homeowners insurance premium. Depending on where you live, you might qualify for discounts for:
- Bundling home and auto policies
- Staying claims-free for five years or more if you are switching from another insurer
- Protecting your home with various safety and security devices
- Purchasing a newly built home or performing renovations
- Adding or retrofitting a new roof
- Being a military veteran or in active service
- Choosing autopay
- Going paperless
- Getting a quote before your old policy expires
- Insuring your home to its current replacement cost
Liberty Mutual life insurance
Types of policies
Liberty Mutual offers several different types of life insurance policies depending on your needs. Here are the options:
- Term life insurance: Term life insurance offers short-term coverage for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years. There is a guaranteed death benefit and your premium will never change during the term. Liberty Mutual’s term life insurance policies include a built-in conversion guarantee, a variety of riders and the option to convert to permanent coverage at any time.
- Whole life insurance: Whole life insurance builds cash value, offers a guaranteed tax-free death benefit and has level premiums. Liberty Mutual offers several different types of whole life insurance, including simplified issue and single premium coverage.
- Fixed annuity: Liberty Mutual also offers fixed annuity life insurance coverage, where you make one premium payment and get guaranteed income during retirement. There are two options—single premium deferred annuity and fixed indexed annuity.
Liberty Mutual ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
With so many coverage types and a wide variety of discounts, Liberty Mutual may seem like an ideal choice for covering your auto, home or rental property, or supplying your life insurance. But what do the ratings say? Here is how Liberty Mutual is rated by top research and industry organizations:
|Liberty Mutual rating|
|J.D. Power Auto Insurance Study (2020)||Varies by region|
|J.D. Power Home Insurance Study (2020)||805/1,000|
|J.D. Power Renters Insurance Study (2020)||825/1,000|
|J.D. Power Life Insurance Study (2020)||Not rated|
|NAIC Complaint Index||2.14 (higher-than-average complaints)|
Liberty Mutual’s J.D. Power ratings vary significantly between products. Liberty Mutual auto insurance was rated above average for overall customer satisfaction in the Florida region, but it was ranked below average in every other market. The company was also rated below average for home insurance and renters insurance by J.D. Power. It may also be worth noting that Liberty Mutual has a much higher than average National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint index of 2.14, compared to the industry average of 1.0.
Top reasons to consider Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual is enhancing its technological innovation, especially when it comes to auto insurance. Not only can you file and track a claim online, but the company offers a variety of added perks.
Customers can use Liberty Mutual Claims Valet Service, where the company sends a driver to both deliver your replacement car while your vehicle is being repaired and to take your damaged car to the shop for you (assuming it is drivable).
On top of digital ease-of-use, Liberty Mutual’s draw comes from its variety of coverage and discount options. Want your vehicle’s coverage to pay for repairs even when they are not accident-related? You could get the lifetime repair vehicle service plan.
Want to upgrade your ride? Liberty Mutual’s Better Car Replacement could help if your vehicle is totaled by replacing it with a car that is one model year newer and has 15,000 fewer miles.
Worried about being able to pay your deductible? You could enroll in the Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund. Each year, you pay $30 and Liberty Mutual contributes $100 to a deductible fund. That fund grows year after year as a source you can tap into at any time you need money to cover a Liberty Mutual deductible.
Overall, Liberty Mutual may be a good car insurance company for you if you value companies with unique features, coverage options and discounts. However, you may want to keep in mind that the company has below-average ratings for overall customer satisfaction, which might be a deterrent for some drivers.
Liberty Mutual’s home and renters insurance policies do not have as many specialty features as its auto policies do, but the property coverage is still effective. Liberty Mutual is a solid homeowners insurance company, offering coverage options and great discounts that might help lower your rate.
Although life insurance is not Liberty Mutual’s most popular product, it is a viable option if you are looking for basic coverage. There are three policies you can choose from based on your needs, including a fixed annuity option that is not offered by every life insurer. But if you are in the market for life insurance specifically, we recommend shopping around to find a life insurance company to compare offerings.
Additional policies offered by Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual, like most other insurers, offers you discounts if you bundle your auto insurance with other policies it provides. Some of Liberty Mutual’s other personal insurance options include:
- Antique and classic cars
- ATV, off-road and recreational vehicles
- Mobile home
- Critical illness
- Small business
On top of this, Liberty Mutual offers a wide range of commercial coverage options including business interruption, workers’ compensation and commercial auto.
Frequently asked questions
How do I know how much Liberty Mutual car insurance to buy?
It can be difficult to determine how much auto insurance coverage you need. We recommend using Liberty Mutual’s handy Car Insurance Coverage Calculator to help. At a minimum, you will need to purchase enough coverage to meet your state’s minimum requirements. However, many insurance experts recommend raising your liability coverage limits and purchasing a full coverage policy to protect your vehicle.
What do I need to get a quote from Liberty Mutual?
Getting a Liberty Mutual auto insurance quote online is easy to do. If your vehicle is registered to your address, simply inputting where you live will pull up your vehicle’s info. Then, you need to input information about the vehicle’s safety features, the make, model and year and estimated annual mileage.
With a little more personal info and a quick writeup on any accidents, violations or auto insurance claims you have had in the last seven years, you are on your way to getting your quote.
How do I get my Liberty Mutual ID cards?
You do not have to wait to get ID cards in the mail from Liberty Mutual. The company has a page on its website that makes it easy to download your ID cards online, even if you don’t have login information easily accessible. You may also access your ID cards through the Liberty Mutual mobile app.
How do I file a claim with Liberty Mutual?
You can file a claim with Liberty Mutual by calling the company, using its mobile app or via its website. If you use the mobile app, you could send pictures of your vehicle or home’s damage right from your smartphone.
Liberty Mutual also offers a help page on its website to clue you into what to expect throughout the claims process. Once submitted, you can digitally track its current status and ask questions about its progress.