Waiting between credit card applications is better for your credit history and can even improve your chances of getting accepted.
About the author
Personal finance, habit formation
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), Illinois State University
- Ten years of personal finance writing experience, with stories published on Vox, The Simple Dollar, The Penny Hoarder, Lifehacker and more
- Five years writing and editing The Billfold, a personal finance blog where people had honest conversations about money
- Author of Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales
Nicole Dieker has been a full-time freelance writer since 2012—and a personal finance enthusiast since 2004, when she graduated from college and, looking for financial guidance, found a battered copy of Your Money or Your Life at the public library.
In addition to writing for Bankrate, her work has appeared on CreditCards.com, Vox, Lifehacker, Popular Science, The Penny Hoarder, The Simple Dollar and NBC News. Dieker spent five years as writer and editor for The Billfold, a personal finance blog where people had honest conversations about money. Dieker also teaches writing, freelancing and publishing classes and works one-on-one with authors as a developmental editor and copyeditor.
Nicole Dieker’s debut novel, The Biographies of Ordinary People, is a Millennial-era Little Women that follows three sisters from childhood to adulthood. Dieker is also the author of Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales, in which she reworks classic fairy tales to highlight their hidden financial lessons.
"I never knew I needed Rumpelstiltskin to involve Bitcoin or a parable about instant pots, but I’m so much happier now that I’ve read both. These stories will both delight and get you thinking about money." — Lillian Karabaic, author of Get Your Money Together and host of Oh My Dollar!
- MFA in Theatre, Illinois State University, 2008
- BA in Music, Theatre Minor, Miami University, 2004
- Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales (The Billfold, 2018)
- Earn More Money as a Freelance Writer (The Write Life, 2016)
- Start Here: 40 Freelance Writers Share How They Find Clients, Stay Motivated & Earn Well
- Today (contributor, Make a Living Writing, 2015)
Nicole's Latest Articles
6 min read May 11, 2021
The Chase Ink Business Preferred card includes many business-friendly travel benefits, but those aren’t the only Ink Business Preferred benefits available to you.4 min read May 11, 2021
The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card is solid business credit card for small-business owners who want to earn travel rewards on their business purchases.6 min read May 11, 2021
One issuer gave you a $500 limit while another gave you a $1,000 limit. Find out why.5 min read Apr 29, 2021
Learn how to activate a credit card by phone or online.7 min read Apr 28, 2021
Consider how a new credit card might reward your everyday expenses.5 min read Apr 12, 2021
All frequent flyers should consider both—but if you travel internationally, it’s worth taking a look at Global Entry.5 min read Apr 08, 2021
There are benefits to tackling your smallest debt first and working your way up.5 min read Mar 24, 2021