Retirement basics: Table of Contents
It’s so important to make this a priority so that you’re not stuck in the workforce any longer than necessary.
- Why save for retirement
- Decline of pensions; rise of 401(k) plans
- Those with a pension still need to save
- Prioritizing retirement savings
- Power of compounding
- Dollar-cost averaging
- What inflation can do to your spending power
Learn how these accounts provide tax advantages to both savers and employers.
- Types of retirement vehicles
- Workplace retirement plans help you save
- Roth 401(k)
- Self-employed 401(k)
- Traditional IRA vs. Roth IRA
- Simple IRA
- SEP IRA
Choose investments wisely to grow your money.
- Investing: a universe of options
- Relationship between risk and return
- Stocks, bonds, cash, mutual funds
- Importance of asset allocation
- Target-date funds
- Mutual funds vs. ETFs
- International investing/emerging markets
- Individual stocks/company stock
Know your options so you can make smart decisions throughout your career.
- Making decisions
- Borrowing from a 401(k)
- Leave 401(k) or roll it over?
- Consolidating 401(k) plans
- Catch-up contributions
- Converting a traditional to a Roth IRA
Make the most of your savings once you finally reach retirement.
- Retirement moves
- When to take Social Security
- Wise withdrawal strategies
- Know your required minimum distribution
- Funding retirement with rental income
- Basics of reverse mortgages