At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation of . Read more about how we scored the 2024 Bankrate Awards winners in .
See our top picks
Best tax software overall
Why they won
We ranked TurboTax as the best overall tax software.. TurboTax's ease of use, educational tools and highly-rated products and apps rank it above the rest. TurboTax isn't the cheapest option for self-employed workers, but the extensive library of educational tools and available support make it a great option for W-2 workers who want to file their taxes quickly and accurately.
- Free online filing for both state and federal taxes
- Extensive filing options, no matter your financial situation
- Highly-rated apps on both Google Play and Apple
Best low-cost tax software
Why they won
Like most tax services, TurboTax offers free federal and state filing for simple returns (such as if you're a W-2 worker or receive the Child Tax Credit). If you have the budget to pay to file, TurboTax's desktop products are an affordable option:
- $50 ($40 with a current promotion) for the basic plan, which includes perks like uploading your W-2 by picture and importing last year's data.
- $80 ($70 with a current promotion) for the deluxe plan, which gives you the same benefits as the basic plan, but also includes state filing and helps you look for more deductions.
TurboTax's plans are more expensive than the competition if you have self-employed income, but for most taxpayers, the ease of use puts it a step above the rest.
- Most affordable option for most taxpayers
- Free filing for W-2 workers and parents
- Affordable basic options to maximize your deductions
Best in-person tax assistance
Why they won
H&R Block has more than 9,000 offices nationwide, so if you’re looking to file taxes in person, there’s likely a branch nearby. Walk-ins and appointments are both accepted. The in-person filing process with an H&R Block tax pro typically takes about an hour, and you can follow along on your own screen as the filing process moves along. H&R Block also offers a drop-off service, where you drop off your files at an office and wait while the tax pro finishes your taxes (starts at $69). Once your tax pro is finished, you can review, approve and sign your return through the company’s app or head to the office to do it in person. H&R Block also takes safety measures against COVID-19, such as requiring face coverings for everyone and frequently disinfecting high-contact surfaces.
- Thousands of branches across the country
- Walk-ins or scheduled appointments with a tax pro, or using the company’s drop-off service
- Offers bookkeeping and payroll services for small business owners
Find the tax know-how you need
Get the latest news and guidance on taxes all in one place.See the latest