Your credit card statement reveals a lot about your spending habits — and might help you change them.
About the author
Personal finance, habit formation
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), Illinois State University
- Ten years of personal finance writing experience, with stories published on Vox, The Simple Dollar, The Penny Hoarder, Lifehacker and more
- Five years writing and editing The Billfold, a personal finance blog where people had honest conversations about money
- Author of Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales
Nicole Dieker has been a full-time freelance writer since 2012—and a personal finance enthusiast since 2004, when she graduated from college and, looking for financial guidance, found a battered copy of Your Money or Your Life at the public library.
In addition to writing for Bankrate, her work has appeared on CreditCards.com, Vox, Lifehacker, Popular Science, The Penny Hoarder, The Simple Dollar and NBC News. Dieker spent five years as writer and editor for The Billfold, a personal finance blog where people had honest conversations about money. Dieker also teaches writing, freelancing and publishing classes and works one-on-one with authors as a developmental editor and copyeditor.
Nicole Dieker’s debut novel, The Biographies of Ordinary People, is a Millennial-era Little Women that follows three sisters from childhood to adulthood. Dieker is also the author of Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales, in which she reworks classic fairy tales to highlight their hidden financial lessons.
"I never knew I needed Rumpelstiltskin to involve Bitcoin or a parable about instant pots, but I’m so much happier now that I’ve read both. These stories will both delight and get you thinking about money." — Lillian Karabaic, author of Get Your Money Together and host of Oh My Dollar!
- MFA in Theatre, Illinois State University, 2008
- BA in Music, Theatre Minor, Miami University, 2004
- Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales (The Billfold, 2018)
- Earn More Money as a Freelance Writer (The Write Life, 2016)
- Start Here: 40 Freelance Writers Share How They Find Clients, Stay Motivated & Earn Well
- Today (contributor, Make a Living Writing, 2015)
Nicole's Latest Articles
4 min read Apr 14, 2020
Here’s your guide to activating and using your phone’s mobile wallet, no matter which platform you choose.4 min read Apr 06, 2020
Borrowing against the value of your home is one way to pay off old debts — but is it the best way?3 min read Mar 31, 2020
Figuring out how much credit you are using is key to keeping your credit score high, but how much do you really need?3 min read Mar 14, 2020
If you don’t have the PIN required to lift your credit freeze, there are still steps you can take to access your account and thaw your credit.4 min read Feb 27, 2020
Here’s what to know if you’re responsible for filing taxes for a deceased spouse, parent or dependent.5 min read Feb 17, 2020
It’s easy to change credit cards with your bank — but you’ll want to ask the right questions before you make a switch.5 min read Feb 17, 2020
When you become an authorized user on another person’s credit card, you’re putting a portion of your credit score into their hands. Here’s what you should know.3 min read Dec 11, 2019