While MetLife insurance company is often recognized and known for selling insurance to employers for employees, they do sell directly to individuals. While, like many insurance companies, they offer auto and home insurance, they also are unique in the fact that they sell dental insurance as well. Other types of policies they write include life insurance, disability, vision and health — although some of these are only available through your workplace.
If you’re the sort of person who likes handling your insurance business online, MetLife offers some challenges. It can be difficult to find information on their website and the MetLife app is reportedly glitchy, making it difficult to pay a bill, file a claim or do any other tasks that are usually well-suited for apps.
If that isn’t a problem for you, though, MetLife offers some excellent standard coverage options with add-ons that allow you to customize your policies to fit your own needs. Although the company doesn’t offer as many discounts as some other insurers, it does feature several that can help lower your premium payments nicely.
If you’re looking for decent coverage, and especially if you can benefit from MetLife’s good driver discounts, then it’s worth getting a quote from MetLife to see if their prices work for you.
MetLife auto insurance
MetLife auto insurance provides standard coverage options for your vehicles, including liability, collision, comprehensive and more. Optional coverages include a few we don’t often see elsewhere, such as a special parts replacement for damage to car parts like tires and brakes. MetLife also offers car insurance for commercial autos, classic cars, and rideshare drivers.
Types of coverage
- Liability protection
- Collision and comprehensive coverage
- Personal injury protection
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists coverage
- Rental car coverage: If you have an accident while driving a rental car, this can help cover costs.
- New car replacement: This is a great option if you have a new car or a car with low mileage, offering repairs or full replacement.
- Special parts replacement: The major parts of a car, like the tires and brakes, will be paid for with this coverage.
- Enhanced rental car damage coverage.
- Gap coverage, which pays off your car loan if your car is totaled, even if you owe more than the car was worth.
- Glass repairs without a deductible: Get your windshield crack or chip replaced without your deductible.
- Towing and roadside assistance and labor cost coverage: This will help reimburse any towing or roadside assistance costs.
- Legal defense costs: If you’re sued due to an incident, your legal fees can be reimbursed.
- Identity theft protection comes standard with all policies.
- Deductible savings benefit: Earn cash every year you don’t make a claim to help cover your deductible.
- Defensive driver discount: Complete a qualified driver training course to save money on your MetLife insurance quote, up to 7%.
- Superior driver discounts and MetRewards: If your entire household has exceptional driving records, you can save up to 12%.
- Bundle and save: Combine your auto insurance with home insurance and save up to 10%.
- Good student discount: If your high school or college student has exceptional grades, you can earn up to a 15% discount.
MetLife home insurance
MetLife offers insurance for homeowners, condo dwellers and landlords which feature customizable options to allow you to tailor a policy to your own particular circumstances. The MetLife insurance company offers a range of standard and optional coverage at competitive pricing, including replacement cost coverage, which pays out on a claim with no regard to depreciation.
Types of coverage
- MetLife home insurance coverage includes events of tornadoes, hail, fire, theft, vandalism and more. If you experience loss from a certain tragic event or natural disaster, MetLife offers the option for your coverage to replace the items without deduction for depreciation – even if you lose your home.
- Liability coverage means that your legal fees will be reimbursed in the case that you are sued from some incident occurring on your property.
- Every MetLife insurance quote includes Identity Protection Services.
- Get 24/7 MetLife insurance customer service and flexible payment plans with every policy.
- Employer and association discounts: You may be eligible for discounted home insurance through your employer or an association you are a member of.
- Safety discounts: In most states, you can receive a discount if your home has a fire alarm, sprinkler system, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and other fire prevention items. Also, if you have theft prevention items, like deadbolt locks and burglar alarm, your MetLife insurance quote may be discounted.
- Bundle and save discounts: Bundle your auto and home insurance to save up to 10%.
MetLife renters insurance
Even if you’re only renting your home, insurance is a great idea. Although your landlord’s policy will cover damage to the building, your renters insurance covers liability if someone is injured in your apartment or rented home. It also offers personal property coverage in case your belongings are damaged in an unexpected event.
Types of coverage
- Personal property: Covers everything from the drapes on the windows to your new couch and the clothes in the closet, up to the actual cash value of the property.
- Replacement cost coverage: an optional coverage that replaces damaged or stolen items with items of similar value, without regard to depreciation.
- Coverage for any improvements, additions, or alterations you’ve made to the rental unit at your expense.
- Personal liability: coverage if a visitor is hurt while they’re in your rental unit. Also covers damage to a visitor’s property while at your home.
- Legal defense costs.
- Optional coverages that will pay to replace expensive electronics, musical instruments, sports or recreational equipment, and luxury items — up to $15,000.
- Claims-free discount
- Multi-policy: if you bundle your renters insurance with auto insurance.
- Protective devices discount, for safety and security devices in your unit.
- Employer and association discounts
MetLife life insurance
MetLife provides life insurance through employer-sponsored plans and groups. You pay a monthly premium to ensure your designated loved ones receive a tax-free lump sum of your choice in the event of your passing.
Types of coverage
- Term life insurance: The simplest and most affordable type of life insurance; choose the length of time you’d like to be covered and the payout amount. If you pass during your coverage term, your loved ones receive a death benefit.
- Whole life insurance: Permanent life insurance (not limited to a certain amount of time) has fixed monthly premiums that go towards a death benefit for loved ones and include an interest-bearing, cash-value account you can access and borrow from throughout your life.
- Universal life insurance: Similar to whole life insurance, this is a permanent policy but with more flexible premium payment terms and the opportunity to grow your cash value through investments.
- Bundle your MetLife auto insurance or other insurance products with MetLife life insurance to receive a multi-policy discount.
MetLife ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
MetLife insurance reviews are average. Ratings from J.D. Power sit right around the middle compared to other insurance companies. The company scored 877 points from the 2020 J.D. Power Property Claims Satisfaction Study, slightly under the industry average of 881. With J.D. Power’s U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study and U.S. Life Insurance Study, it’s roughly the same: MetLife came in at 867 points in auto claims satisfaction (the industry average was 868( and 744 for life insurance (the industry average was 761).
The Better Business BureauⓇ rates MetLife insurance an “A”. Many of the complaints on their website from customers reference poor customer service with a lack of response, but MetLife insurance customer service can be exceptional, as 24/7 customer service is included with every policy.
MetLife Mobile Apps
MetLife has a mobile app that’s available for Apple or Android devices. Reviews aren’t great, however, with users commenting on its clunky interface and limited abilities. But you should be able to pay your bill, make a claim and manage most basic tasks via the app.
MetLife’s My Journey app has been better received. It’s a telematics app that allows the company to monitor your driving in real time. The app can tell if you are maintaining the speed limit, engage in hard stops and the time of day you’re driving. If you have good driving habits, you may be eligible for up to 30% off your premium. It’s only available in a handful of states though, so ask your agent if you can apply.
The MetLife Infinity app, meanwhile, gives you a central location to collect valuable personal information: insurance docs, home inventories, warranties and more. Items are stored in the cloud, and information can be shared with your loved ones as needed.
Reasons why MetLife is a great option
If you’re looking for decent coverage with 24/7 customer service, MetLife is a good choice. And for the technologically advanced, MetLife also has an app where you can manage your policy, pay bills and more, all from your smartphone. Thanks to all the available discounts, MetLife insurance quotes are fair for those on a budget. If you’re a safe driver, there are plenty of discounts that can be considered when you request your MetLife insurance quote. Bundle in a MetLife life insurance policy through your employer and you can save big on your multiple policies.
Additional policies offered by MetLife
MetLife also offers the following insurance policies:
- Accident and Health
Frequently asked questions
How do I file a MetLife insurance claim?
Looking for information on MetLife insurance claims? File a claim online. You will need to sign in, or call MetLife insurance customer service 24/7 to get started. You can also file a claim by way of the MetLife mobile app from your smartphone.
How do I get a MetLife insurance quote?
Ready for a MetLife insurance quote? You can start your quote online and an agent will call you within a day to give you the details. You’ll need to give the agent information on yourself, such as your age and marital status, as well as on your car or home and your past insurance history. If you’re applying for a life insurance policy, there’s good news — you won’t need a medical exam if you choose MetLife’s no medical exam life insurance policy.