MetLife insurance is best-known for employer-sponsored coverage but they also sell directly to individuals. Most insurance companies offer auto and home insurance, but MetLife also provides life, disability, dental, vision and health insurance — although some of the coverages are only available through the workplace.
MetLife’s mobile app may be an issue if you prefer to handle most of your needs via your smartphone. Users have reported the app to be glitchy at times during basic tasks such as paying a bill or filing a claim. However, the breadth of coverage options make it possible to customize policies based on your needs.
MetLife isn’t the least expensive insurer, but buyers looking for value may still find exceptional customer service a worthwhile reason to get a MetLife quote and compare. To help you decide if MetLife may be a good fit for your insurance needs, consider what the provider has to offer.
MetLife auto insurance
MetLife auto insurance provides standard coverage options for your vehicles, including liability, collision, comprehensive and more. Optional coverages include a few we do not often see elsewhere, such as a special parts replacement for damage to car parts like tires and brakes. MetLife also offers car insurance for commercial autos, classic cars, and rideshare drivers.
- Liability protection
- Collision and comprehensive coverage
- Personal injury protection
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists coverage
- Rental car coverage: If you have an accident while driving a rental car, this can help cover costs.
- New car replacement: This is a great option if you have a new car or a car with low mileage, offering repairs or full replacement.
- Special parts replacement: The major parts of a car, like the tires and brakes, will be paid for with this coverage.
- Enhanced rental car damage coverage.
- Gap coverage, which pays off your car loan if your car is totaled, even if you owe more than the car was worth.
- Glass repairs without a deductible: Get your windshield crack or chip replaced without your deductible.
- Towing and roadside assistance and labor cost coverage: This will help reimburse any towing or roadside assistance costs.
- Legal defense costs: If you are sued due to an incident, your legal fees can be reimbursed.
- Identity theft protection comes standard with all policies.
Cost of MetLife auto insurance
Review Bankrate’s findings on the average cost of car insurance for minimum and full coverage to see how MetLife compares to other major insurance providers overall. Minimum coverage reflects a state’s required amount of liability insurance, which covers situations when you cause injuries or damages to third-parties. Full coverage adds comprehensive and collision insurance that provides financial protection for your own vehicle. As shown below, MetLife’s average annual rates for minimum and full coverage are a bit higher than the national averages of $565 and $1,674, respectively.
|Average annual cost for minimum coverage||Average annual cost for full coverage|
- Deductible savings benefit: Earn cash every year you do not make a claim to help cover your deductible.
- Defensive driver discount: Complete a qualified driver training course to save money on your MetLife insurance quote, up to 7%.
- Superior driver discounts and MetRewards: If your entire household has exceptional driving records, you can save up to 12%.
- Bundle and save: Combine your auto insurance with home insurance and save up to 10%.
- Good student discount: If your high school or college student has exceptional grades, you can earn up to a 15% discount.
MetLife home insurance
MetLife offers insurance for homeowners, condo dwellers and landlords which feature customizable options to allow you to tailor a policy to your own particular circumstances. The MetLife insurance company offers a range of standard and optional coverage at competitive pricing, including replacement cost coverage, which pays out on a claim with no regard to depreciation.
- MetLife home insurance coverage includes events of tornadoes, hail, fire, theft, vandalism and more. If you experience loss from a certain tragic event or natural disaster, MetLife offers the option for your coverage to replace the items without deduction for depreciation – even if you lose your home.
- Liability coverage means that your legal fees will be reimbursed in the case that you are sued from some incident occurring on your property.
- In most states, MetLife insurance quote includes Identity Protection Services.
- Get 24/7 MetLife insurance customer service and flexible payment plans with every policy.
Cost of MetLife home insurance
Home insurance is typically required by your lender if you carry a mortgage on your home. The average cost of homeowners insurance through MetLife for $250,000 in dwelling coverage is $1,256 per year. You may be able to save on the average based on a few factors such as the amount of your deductible, the geographical area you live in and the discounts you qualify for.
- Employer and association discounts: You may be eligible for discounted home insurance through your employer or an association you are a member of.
- Safety discounts: In most states, you can receive a discount if your home has a fire alarm, sprinkler system, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and other fire prevention items. Also, if you have theft prevention items, like deadbolt locks and burglar alarm, your MetLife insurance quote may be discounted.
- Bundle and save discounts: Bundle your auto and home insurance to save up to 10%.
MetLife life insurance
MetLife provides life insurance through employer-sponsored plans and groups. You pay a monthly premium to ensure your designated loved ones receive a tax-free lump sum of your choice in the event of your passing.
Types of policies
- Term life insurance: The simplest and most affordable type of life insurance; choose the length of time you’d like to be covered and the payout amount. If you pass during your coverage term, your loved ones receive a death benefit.
- Whole life insurance: Permanent life insurance (not limited to a certain amount of time) has fixed monthly premiums that go towards a death benefit for loved ones and include an interest-bearing, cash-value account you can access and borrow from throughout your life.
- Universal life insurance: Similar to whole life insurance, this is a permanent policy but with more flexible premium payment terms and the opportunity to grow your cash value through investments.
- Bundle your MetLife auto insurance or other insurance products with MetLife life insurance to receive a multi-policy discount.
MetLife ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
MetLife insurance scores exceptionally high with customers. The carrier topped the 2021 J.D. Power Property Claims Satisfaction Study with a score of 904 out of 1,000. MetLife’s reviews for vehicle and life insurance are average. It came in at 867 points in auto claims satisfaction (868 was the average) and 744 for life insurance (the industry average was 761). On the whole, however, MetLife’s positive insurance feedback for claims handling and customer satisfaction are worth taking into consideration if that is one of your priorities when looking for a provider.
MetLife mobile apps
MetLife has a mobile app that is available for Apple or Android devices. Reviews are not exceptional, however, with users commenting on its clunky interface and limited abilities. But you should be able to pay your bill, make a claim and manage most basic tasks via the app.
MetLife’s My Journey app has been better received. It is a telematics app that allows the company to monitor your driving in real time. The app can tell if you are maintaining the speed limit, engaging in hard stops and the time of day you are driving. If you have good driving habits, you may be eligible for up to 30% off your premium. It is only available in a handful of states though, so ask your agent if you can apply.
The MetLife Infinity app, meanwhile, gives you a central location to collect valuable personal information: insurance docs, home inventories, warranties and more. Items are stored in the cloud, and information can be shared with your loved ones as needed.
Reasons why MetLife is a great option
If you are looking for decent coverage with 24/7 customer service, MetLife may be worth your consideration. For the technologically-inclined policyholders, MetLife also has an app that allows you to manage your policy and pay bills, among other features, all from your smartphone.
Thanks to all the available discounts, MetLife insurance quotes are fair for those on a budget. If you are a safe driver, there are plenty of discounts that can be considered when you request your MetLife insurance quote. Bundle in a MetLife life insurance policy through your employer and you can save big on your multiple policies.
Additional policies offered by MetLife
MetLife also offers the following insurance policies:
- Accident and Health
Frequently asked questions
How do I file a MetLife insurance claim?
Looking for information on MetLife insurance claims? File a claim online. You will need to sign in, or call MetLife insurance customer service 24/7 to get started. You can also file a claim by way of the MetLife mobile app from your smartphone.
How do I get a MetLife insurance quote?
You can start your quote online and an agent will call you within a day to give you the details. You’ll need to give the agent information on yourself, such as your age and marital status, as well as on your car or home and your past insurance history. If you are applying for a life insurance policy, there is good news — you will not need a medical exam if you choose MetLife’s no medical exam life insurance policy.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean driving record, good credit and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverages that meet each state’s requirements. Our base profile drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.