Earn as much cash back as possible from your rotating bonus category credit cards.
About the author
Personal finance, habit formation
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), Illinois State University
- Ten years of personal finance writing experience, with stories published on Vox, The Simple Dollar, The Penny Hoarder, Lifehacker and more
- Five years writing and editing The Billfold, a personal finance blog where people had honest conversations about money
- Author of Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales
Nicole Dieker has been a full-time freelance writer since 2012—and a personal finance enthusiast since 2004, when she graduated from college and, looking for financial guidance, found a battered copy of Your Money or Your Life at the public library.
In addition to writing for Bankrate, her work has appeared on CreditCards.com, Vox, Lifehacker, Popular Science, The Penny Hoarder, The Simple Dollar and NBC News. Dieker spent five years as writer and editor for The Billfold, a personal finance blog where people had honest conversations about money. Dieker also teaches writing, freelancing and publishing classes and works one-on-one with authors as a developmental editor and copyeditor.
Nicole Dieker’s debut novel, The Biographies of Ordinary People, is a Millennial-era Little Women that follows three sisters from childhood to adulthood. Dieker is also the author of Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales, in which she reworks classic fairy tales to highlight their hidden financial lessons.
"I never knew I needed Rumpelstiltskin to involve Bitcoin or a parable about instant pots, but I’m so much happier now that I’ve read both. These stories will both delight and get you thinking about money." — Lillian Karabaic, author of Get Your Money Together and host of Oh My Dollar!
- MFA in Theatre, Illinois State University, 2008
- BA in Music, Theatre Minor, Miami University, 2004
- Frugal and the Beast: And Other Financial Fairy Tales (The Billfold, 2018)
- Earn More Money as a Freelance Writer (The Write Life, 2016)
- Start Here: 40 Freelance Writers Share How They Find Clients, Stay Motivated & Earn Well
- Today (contributor, Make a Living Writing, 2015)
Nicole's Latest Articles
6 min read Nov 25, 2021
Most major credit cards offer rewards—but are rewards credit cards worth it?6 min read Nov 24, 2021
There are benefits to tackling your smallest debt first and working your way up.6 min read Mar 24, 2021
If you’re tired of taking off your shoes every time you go through airport security, it’s time to enroll in TSA PreCheck. This trusted traveler program allows people to access a separate security line [...]5 min read Nov 10, 2021
How many credit cards is too many? For this responsible credit user, opening 24 cards helped him achieve his travel goals—without going into credit card debt.5 min read Nov 09, 2021
This check allows you to borrow cash or credit from your credit line — but is it worth it?5 min read Nov 03, 2021
Balance transfers can take several days, or even weeks, to be processed. Here’s what to expect.4 min read Oct 29, 2021
Here’s what you need to know about updating your billing address.4 min read Oct 28, 2021