The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for .
Granite State Management & Resources (GSM&R for short) is a student loan servicer that manages private student loans. The company was once in charge of managing federal loans as well, but its contract with the U.S. Department of Education ended in late 2021.
If this company is charged with servicing your loans, it will be your point of contact when it comes to student loan repayment.
What is Granite State Management & Resources and what does it do?
GSM&R is a nonprofit organization within the New Hampshire Higher Education Assistance Foundation (NHHEAF) Network. It is one of the companies the federal government once authorized to service federal student loans, and it also services private student loans.
GSM&R does not originate student loans on its own; as a loan servicer, GSM&R receives payments, suggests different repayment plans and manages other administrative tasks related to your student loans.
Is Granite State a good student loan servicer?
While many borrowers may never run into issues with the GSM&R, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) has received 67 complaints about the servicer from consumers since 2019.
The area with the most complaints is credit reporting, with many borrowers claiming that the servicer reported their account information and status incorrectly. In many cases, the issue was resolved when the borrower disputed it. Depending on the situation, inaccurate information on your credit report can damage your credit score.
Other common complaints include:
- Trouble with how payments are being handled.
- Bad information provided about the customers’ loans.
- Problems with customer service.
- Inflexibility with payment options.
What types of student loans does Granite State service?
Granite State Management & Resources used to service federal student loans, although it stopped doing so when its contract was not renewed at the end of 2021. This means that GSM&R now focuses on handling private student loans.
How do I know if Granite State is my loan servicer?
If you have private student loans, you can find your loan servicer by looking at the student loan bill you’re receiving online or via mail. Your loan servicer will be also be listed on your credit reports, and you can check this information for free on AnnualCreditReport.com.
If you have federal student loans, GSM&R is not your servicer. If you previously had federal loans serviced by GSM&R, those loans have been transferred to Edfinancial Services. You can confirm your federal student loan servicer by signing into your Federal Student Aid account or calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 800-433-3243.
How do I make my Granite State student loan payments?
There are several ways to make payments through GSM&R:
- Online. To make payments online, you’ll need to create a Granite State Management & Resources login. Have your nine-digit loan account number on hand, which you can find on your monthly statement. You’ll also need to provide your Social Security number, date of birth and email address, along with other information.
- Automatic debit. By signing up for autopay, you ensure that all of your payments are made on time. Some lenders also offer a rate discount if you select this option.
- Online bill pay. If your bank has an online bill pay system, you can set up a direct transfer to GSM&R every month.
- Phone: To make a payment by phone, call 800-719-0708. Customer service hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 pm. ET.
- Mail: On-time loan payments may be sent to P.O. Box 9560, Manchester, New Hampshire, 03108. Defaulted loan payments may be sent to P.O. Box 877, Concord, New Hampshire, 03302.
- In person: If you live in Concord, New Hampshire, you can drop off payments in person at the drop box in front of GSM&R’s offices. The address is 3 Barrell Court, Concord, New Hampshire, 03301.
How to contact Granite State
If you need assistance from GSM&R, there are several different ways to contact the company. The simplest way is to call the loan servicer at 800-719-0708 during business hours, which fall between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST Monday through Friday.
You can also contact the company by mail at P.O. Box 2097, Concord, New Hampshire, 03302 or stop into the office at 3 Barrell Court, Concord, New Hampshire, 03301 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 pm. ET Monday through Friday.