Since 1999, UPC Insurance has written homeowners policies in Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Carolina and Texas. UPC specializes in protecting homes in coastal areas prone to hurricanes and tropical storms. Since its founding, UPC has written 600,000 insurance policies and paid more than $4 billion in claims. Homeowners along the eastern seaboard and in Gulf Coast areas can benefit from UPC’s full line of homeowners policies, as well as private and national flood insurance. UPC Insurance ranks among the best homeowners insurance providers and holds strong financial and consumer ratings.
UPC home insurance
UPC home insurance coverage
- Coverage B (other structures insurance): Helps pay for damage to or loss of unattached structures on your property such as detached garages, fences, pool houses and utility sheds.
- Coverage C (personal property insurance): Covers personal property in your home such as clothing, electronic equipment, furniture and some guns and jewelry.
- Coverage D (additional living expense insurance): Helps pay for temporary living expenses if a covered peril such as a fire renders your home uninhabitable. Coverage D can apply to hotel costs, meals and rent.
- Coverage E (personal liability insurance): Covers property damage, legal fees or lawsuit awards that result from an accident that occurs on your property. For example, if a tree in your yard falls on your neighbor’s house, Coverage E can help pay for repairs.
- Coverage F (medical payments insurance): Helps pay the medical expenses when someone outside your household sustains an injury on your property. For instance, if a guest slips and breaks an arm on your patio, Coverage F can help pay the person’s medical bills. Coverage F applies to medical payments even when you are not at fault for an accident.
- Personal Property Insurance: Can help pay for the damage or loss of personal items such as a cellphone or laptop computer.
- Home Systems Protection: Covers major home components, including electrical wiring and cooling and heating equipment.
- Service Line Coverage: Helps cover the cost of repairing service lines connected to your home, such as gas lines, power cables and sewer and water pipes.
- Ordinance or Law Coverage: Can help pay for additional repair costs associated with bringing your house up to code following a covered calamity. For example, if a storm damages an older home which has ungrounded electrical outlets, Ordinance or Law coverage can help pay the additional cost of installing grounded outlets during reconstruction.
UPC home insurance discounts
UPC homeowners discounts vary by state. For the most accurate discount information, check with a UPC agent in your state. In Texas, UPC offers:
- 15% discount for homes with hip roofs.
- Up to 15% discount for WPI-8 (windstorm certification) and IBHS (wind and fire fortification) credits.
- 11% to 14% discount for paying your entire homeowners premium in one payment.
- 15% discount for homes equipped with protective door and window coverings such as awnings.
- Discounts for homeowners policyholders who purchase UPC flood insurance.
- Multi-policy discounts for homeowners customers who purchase UPC automobile or umbrella policies.
UPC ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
The Better Business Bureau gives UPC Insurance an A+ rating. In recent history, 86 UPC customers have filed complaints with the BBB regarding common insurance issues such as claims denials, customer service problems and the length of time taken to resolve claims.
A.M. Best does not provide a financial rating for UPC Insurance. However, Best gives Journey Insurance Company, a UPC Insurance company, an A- (Excellent) rating.
In its 2020 U.S. Home Insurance Study, J.D. Power ranked UPC Insurance 21st in the nation, putting the company in second-to-last place. Using a 1,000-point scale, J.D. Power ranks companies based on interaction, policy offerings, price, billing process, policy information and claims.
Benefits of UPC Homeowners Insurance
UPC specializes in providing coverage for homes in coastal areas. While many insurance companies do not insure homes in flood and hurricane zones, UPC does. UPC writes private flood insurance policies and sells flood insurance offered through the National Flood Insurance Program, administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
UPC’s private flood coverage enhancements offer three levels of protection:
- Standard (Flood Zone A): Up to $750,000 coverage for buildings and $200,000 for contents.
- Preferred (Flood Zones B,C and X): Up to $300,000 coverage for buildings and $100,000 for contents.
- Excess Flood: Up to $5 million coverage for buildings and contents combined.
Many insurance companies operate from centralized locations, with no field agents. UPC continues to provide a traditional insurance company structure, with agents in each state it services. UPC makes claims filing easy, allowing you to submit a claim by calling your agent, contacting the national claims center or filing online at the UPC website.
Cost of UPC homeowners insurance
But what about UPC’s rates? We requested quotes for three comparable properties and compared UPC’s rates to the average annual premiums where the homes are located. Here’s what we found:
|Property Location||Home Value||Dwelling Coverage||Deductible||UPC Annual Premium||State Annual Average|
Additional Policies Offered by UPC
In addition to homeowners coverage, UPC Insurance also sells:
- Commercial residential property insurance
- Condominium owners insurance
- Identity theft insurance
- Landlord/seasonal property insurance
- Renters insurance
Frequently Asked Questions
What information is needed to get a quote from UPC?
When you call UPC for an insurance quote, an agent will need to know your address, age, claims history, payment history and social security number.
How do I file a claim with UPC?
UPC gives you three ways to file a claim. You can call the UPC claims center, file a claim at the UPC website or call your UPC agent.
Does UPC Insurance offer discounts for home security systems?
UPC discounts vary by state. In some states, including Georgia, you can earn a discount for installing protective devices such as home security systems and fire alarms. Check with your local UPC agent to find out more about discounts in your state.
Does UPC Insurance sell flood insurance?
UPC sells private flood insurance and National Flood Insurance Program coverage, administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. UPC offers three levels of private flood insurance enhancements, with coverage up to $5 million.