Social security cards and money © iStock

Dear Dr. Don,
What happens to a spouse’s Social Security after that person passes away and there are no children? I was told when my husband died that I was not entitled to his Social Security unless we had children or I was of retirement age. So where does it go until I am of retirement age? I am working, so I do have an income. I am just curious.
— Rose Receives

Dear Rose,
I think you will be pleased to hear the answer, or part of it anyway. Survivors benefits from your husband’s Social Security work record will be available for you when the time that you qualify arrives.

The benefits begin at age 60

Since you aren’t taking care of a child who would qualify under your husband’s work record — either because the child is younger than 16 or is disabled — and you are not disabled, the earliest you would qualify for survivors benefits is at age 60. However, survivors benefits that start at age 60 are always reduced by 28.5%. You can receive full survivors benefits at your full retirement age as a “survivor,” which may be slightly shorter than your regular full retirement age based on your work record. For example, if you were born in 1957, your full retirement age for survivors benefits is 66 and 2 months, and your regular full retirement age is 66 and 6 months.

What if you remarry?

If you remarry after you reach age 60 (age 50 if you are disabled), your remarriage will not affect your eligibility for survivors benefits. One thing that does affect your survivors benefits is whether you will receive a pension based on work not covered by Social Security such as federal civil service, some state or local government employment or work in a foreign country.

If you receive widows or widowers benefits and you will qualify for a retirement benefit that is more than your survivors benefit, then you can switch to your own retirement benefit as early as age 62. This gets pretty complicated, so you should talk to a Social Security representative about your options.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Ask the adviser

To ask a question of Dr. Don, go to the “Ask the Experts” page and select one of these topics: “Financing a home,” “Saving & Investing” or “Money.” Read more Dr. Don columns for additional personal finance advice.

Bankrate’s content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate’s Terms of Use.