Have a complaint about your bank? Here's what to do

Basics »

Woman meeting two advisers © wavebreakmedia/

If you have a complaint about your bank, thrift or credit union, it's always best to first try to resolve it with the institution itself.

If that doesn't work, here's where to turn:


The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, or CFPB, accepts complaints about products or services offered by a bank or credit union.

You can submit the complaint online at

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, or OCC, deals with complaints against national banks or federal savings associations.

You can file your complaint at

RATE SEARCH: Compare savings rates today on

Federal Reserve

The Federal Reserve investigates complaints related to federal consumer protection laws.

To file a complaint, you can:

  • Fill out a consumer complaint form at
  • Call the Federal Reserve consumer hotline at (888) 851-1920.
  • Send a fax: (877) 888-2520.
  • Write to:

    Federal Reserve Consumer Help
    P.O. box 1200
    Minneapolis, MN 55480


The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, or FDIC, directly examines and supervises more than 4,500 banks and savings banks, more than half of the institutions in the banking system.

The FDIC has an online consumer assistance form that allows you to state your case involving an FDIC-regulated institution.

RATE SEARCH: Compare CD rates on Bankrate today.


The National Credit Union Administration oversees federal credit unions and all credit unions in Delaware, South Dakota, Wyoming and Washington, D.C.

After attempting to resolve the complaint with your credit union, you can file a complaint online at


          Connect with us
People in front of ATM © Rafael Ramirez / Fotolia

Connect with us