Condo insurance quiz: Your policy or theirs?

When you own a condominium, the condo association will provide some insurance protection. But you'll need to supplement that condo insurance with your own homeowners insurance policy -- once you figure out what's already covered. Sometimes, the association's master policy insures the basic building but leaves to you the responsibility of insuring appliances and other items in your unit, says Anna Bryant, a spokeswoman for State Farm.

"Or the master policy insures both the basic building and the items within your unit other than personal property," Bryant says. "Or it insures the basic building and includes unit-owner fixtures and improvements."

Yeah, it can be confusing. See if you can guess which policy pays in the following scenarios.

Quiz: Who covers your condo?





Show Bankrate's community sharing policy
          Connect with us

Compare multiple quotes in just 6 minutes


Learn the latest trends that will help grow your portfolio, plus tips on investing strategies. Delivered weekly.


Jay MacDonald

Can Obamacare survive if insurers bail?

UnitedHealth Group threatens to leave the Obamacare exchanges. Will other major insurers follow?  ... Read more

Partner Center

Connect with us