Using a VA home loan to buy rental properties

Mortgage » VA Loans »

You'll need to vet management companies
You'll need to vet management companies | Dragon Images/

You'll need to vet management companies

For any active-duty service member, the question isn't so much if a transfer will come as when. You need to have a plan in place for your rental property.

"If you're active duty and you get transferred out of state, you'll need a rental company to manage it for you." says Danis, of Residential Mortgage. From a distance, "it's almost impossible to manage it yourself."

Moon recommends vetting at least three different management companies – preferably long before you ever need them.

"The standard [fee] is 7-10 percent of the monthly rent roll," he says. "Yes, you're giving up a chunk. (But) it's the difference between eating well and sleeping well."



Brought to you by Veterans United Home Loans Veteran Homebuyer Central Veterans and military members have access to one of the most powerful homebuying tools on the market – the VA loan.
These articles were created solely by Veterans United, a paying advertiser from whom Bankrate receives compensation. The editorial staff of Bankrate was not involved in the stories' preparation.
Show Bankrate's community sharing policy

Connect with us