8 tips for choosing a foreclosure attorney

HUD is your bud
HUD is your bud

Here's the first bit of advice from lawyers: Before contacting a lawyer, call a HUD-certified housing counselor. The Department of Housing and Urban Development has a look-up page here. When you click on your state, the counseling agencies are sorted alphabetically by city. Under the heading "Counseling Services," look for one that offers "mortgage delinquency and default resolution counseling."

An experienced, well-connected counselor can cut through red tape and streamline the process of getting a mortgage modification, if that's what you want.

Even if you end up working with a lawyer to fight foreclosure, the counselor will help you get organized.


Connect with us