If you’re shopping for a savings or checking account, find one offering more than just a meager yield. But you should also look to the bonuses banks are offering just to lure you in.
Banks across the country are handing out free money. Just signing up for an account could put an extra $200 or $300 in your pocket.
Here are some of the best bank account bonuses in November. Compare these offers along with CDs that pay more interest.
Best checking account bonuses
HSBC: $200, $350 or $750 bonus
HSBC has several checking account bonuses available online nationwide. Through Nov. 20, earn:
- $200 for opening a Choice Checking account and depositing $1,500.
- $350 for opening an HSBC Advance checking account and depositing $10,000.
- $750 for opening an HSBC Premier checking account and depositing $100,000.
To qualify for a bonus, deposit new money within 30 calendar days and leave it in your account for 90 days. Don’t want your entire deposit to go into a checking account? You can still earn the bonus if part of it goes into a new savings account (or for the $750 bonus, an eligible investment account).
HSBC is based in McLean, Virginia. It earned four out of five stars on Bankrate’s latest Safe & Sound Ratings, which measures the financial health of banks throughout the nation.
Citibank: $300 or $500 bonus
Through Dec. 31, earn $300 by enrolling in the Citibank account package online, over the phone or in a branch. To qualify you must:
- Be a new customer.
- Open an eligible checking account.
- Deposit $15,000 in new money into a checking or savings account.
- Maintain a $15,000 balance for 60 consecutive days.
- Receive a direct deposit each month for two consecutive months (within 60 days of opening your account).
Citibank also offers a Citi Priority Account Package. If you deposit $50,000, you can earn $500.
Citibank is based in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, but bonuses are available nationwide. The bank earned four out of five stars from Safe & Sound.
TD Bank: $150 or $300 bonus
A $300 bonus is available for customers who:
- Open a Premier Checking account online.
- Have never had a TD Bank personal checking account.
- Have at least $2,500 worth of direct deposit funds within 60 days of opening the account.
There’s also a $150 cash bonus if you’d prefer a Convenience Checking account. Bonuses are available to residents in the District of Columbia, Pennsylvania and every state on the east coast except Georgia.
TD Bank is based in Wilmington, Delaware. It earned four out of five stars from Safe & Sound.
Chase Bank: $200 or $300 bonus
Chase offers a couple of checking account bonuses that expire on Jan. 18.
You’re eligible for either checking account bonus if you:
- Don’t have an existing Chase fiduciary or checking account (or closed one with a negative balance or within the last 90 days).
- Deposit $25.
- Have a direct deposit made within 60 days of opening the account.
Chase has branches in 26 states including Georgia and Florida and in the western, southwestern, Midwestern and northern parts of the country. Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, Chase earned four out of five stars from Safe & Sound.
SunTrust Bank: $100, $200 or $300 bonus
Open a checking account by Jan. 2 and earn up to $300 by depositing at least $100 within 14 days, making 10 debit card purchases and receiving $500 in direct deposits within 60 days.
New SunTrust personal checking account holders may qualify for one of these bonuses:
- $100 bonus for opening an Essential Checking account.
- $200 bonus for opening a Select Checking account.
- $300 bonus for opening a Signature Advantage Checking account.
You can apply for an account online or in a branch if you live in the District of Columbia or one of 11 southern states. SunTrust is headquartered in Atlanta and earned four out of five stars from Safe & Sound.
PNC Bank: $50, $200 or $300 bonus
Visit a branch or go online to open a virtual wallet. If you make 10 debit card purchases and receive a direct deposit within 60 days, you could qualify for one of the following bonuses:
- $50 bonus for receiving a $500 direct deposit.
- $200 bonus for receiving a $2,000 direct deposit and opening a virtual wallet with Performance Spend.
- $300 bonus for receiving a $5,000 direct deposit and opening a virtual wallet with Performance Select.
The offers expire Dec. 31. To qualify, you must live in one of 20 states, including some Midwestern and southern states, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and the District of Columbia.
PNC is based in Wilmington, Delaware and earned four out of five stars from Safe & Sound.
Best savings account bonuses
Huntington National Bank: $150 bonus
Open a Huntington Relationship Savings account and earn $150. You’re eligible if you:
- Don’t have an existing Huntington savings or fiduciary account (or closed one in the past six months).
- Open a Relationship Savings account online or in a branch (with a coupon code) by Dec. 4.
- Deposit at least $10,000 of new money within 30 days of opening (and maintaining that balance for at least 60 days).
The savings account pays 0.05 percent APY. You can earn 0.15 percent APY with a linked Huntington 5 checking account or 0.20 percent APY with a linked Huntington 25 checking account. For a higher yield, check out the best online banks in the U.S.
Bonuses are only available to residents of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, Huntington earned four out of five stars from Safe & Sound.
Chase Bank: $150 bonus
Earn $150 by opening a Chase savings account by Jan. 18. You’re eligible if you:
- Don’t have an existing Chase savings or fiduciary account (or closed one in the past 90 days).
- Apply in a branch.
- Present a printed email with a coupon code.
- Deposit $10,000 in new money within 10 business days.
- Maintain a daily balance of $10,000 for at least 90 days.
When combined with the Total Checking account bonus, you’ll earn $350 total.