Your worst savings strategy? Doing nothing

Don TaylorQuestionDear Dr. Don,
I am an 84-year-old widow. Almost all of my assets are in bank or credit union certificates of deposit. When each one matures and I renew it, I find that I can get very little in return. Is there any other way that I can get more return and still protect my assets?
-- Wilma Wealth

AnswerDear Wilma,
For safety of principal, it's hard to beat insured CD deposits. On the other hand, it's virtually impossible to get much return on a CD in today's low interest rate environment.

The table below shows annual percentage yields, or APYs, using Bankrate's highest national rates in early November for CDs, money market accounts, or MMAs, and high-yield savings accounts. As you can see, it's not pretty out there for investors in insured bank accounts.

Yields on investments
MMA/high yield savings1 percent
3-month CD0.60 percent
6-month CD0.86 percent
12-month CD1.15 percent
2-year CD1.3 percent
3-year CD1.65 percent
5-year CD2.05 percent

If you want to stay in insured bank and credit union deposits, you have three potential strategies to improve return. You can extend your maturities when a CD matures. You can construct a bond ladder as CDs mature, filling in the rungs of the maturities available out to your longest investment horizon. Or you can use a "barbell strategy" in which you keep part or your money in a money market account or high-yield savings account and the rest in a long-term CD.

Don't cash in your current CDs to initiate these strategies. Just manage your CD portfolio as the current deposits mature. One of the worst things people can do in CD investing is nothing. That is, they let the bank renew the maturing CD into another CD of a same term. Don't be that depositor.

Think through what you want to accomplish with this money. Why do you want the improved return? Are you spending the money or looking to build up your balances? If you need income, it's possible that an immediate fixed annuity with some guarantees placed on the payment term could provide higher yields and greater income.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Ask the adviser

To ask a question of Dr. Don, go to the "Ask the Experts" page and select one of these topics: "Financing a home," "Saving & Investing" or "Money." Read more Dr. Don columns for additional personal finance advice.

Bankrate's content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate's Terms of Use.



Show Bankrate's community sharing policy
          Connect with us

Ask Dr. Don

Use bonds for school, avoid tax?

Dear Dr. Don, This is a bad news, good news situation that I'm asking about. I just received several Series EE and Series I savings bonds. I am the so-called payable-on-death beneficiary on the bonds. My mom, who purchased... Read more


Connect with us