Credit repairLike many renovation projects, credit can be repaired on a do-it-yourself basis. Roll up your sleeves and get started by using this worksheet.1. Order your credit reports.•Go to
www.annualcreditreport.com, which is the only authorized source for consumers to access their annual credit report online for free.
•Call toll free 877-322-8228.•Complete the
form on the back of the "Annual Credit Report Request" brochure, available from the
FTC, and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.
2. Examine for errors and calculate the exact amount owed.•If there are errors on your credit reports, see the work sheet "
How to fix mistakes on your credit report."
3. Create a budget.•Write down everything you spend money on and then cut the fat. Use this
worksheet for making your own spending plan.
4. Prioritize bills and pay them off.•Consistently paying at least the minimum due every month is crucial to building up your credit score. Use the
debt paydown calculator to organize.
5. Find products to rebuild credit.•As debts disappear, or following a bankruptcy, look for products such as secured credit cards to help give your credit score a boost.•Make sure they report to the credit bureaus, not all do.View worksheet archive<< previous |
advertisementRelated Links:Video: Using the balance transfer calculator5 cities where credit cards are most popularCan bank tap CD after credit card defaults? Related Articles:Building credit in collegeCredit card ratesHow much credit do you use?
1. Order your credit reports.
2. Examine for errors and calculate the exact amount owed.
3. Create a budget.
4. Prioritize bills and pay them off.
5. Find products to rebuild credit.