October 2011: Top 10 states for foreclosure
Foreclosure filings were up 7 percent nationally from September to October. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in October. Nationally, 1 in every 563 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 Foreclosures by State (as of October 2011)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:563 housing units.
- National average foreclosure sales price: $178,817.
|States*||Average price*||Ratio of foreclosures*||Rates*||Income tax*|
|$122,615||1:180||4.13%||No income tax|
|$232,856||1:243||4.09%||Varies from 1.25% to 9.55%|
|$137,996||1:259||4.14%||Varies from 2.59% to 4.54%|
|$123,720||1:268||4.06%||No income tax|
|$118,535||1:406||4.04%||Varies from 1% to 6%|
|$144,298||1:432||4.08%||Varies from 1.6% to 7.8%|
|$162,936||1:455||4.12%||5% to 11%|
- *States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in October.
- *Average price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- *Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac’s database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- *Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's Nov. 14, 2011, overnight averages.
- *Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.