Compare gift cards
Whether you're planning on stuffing it in a stocking or tucking it under a tree, the gift card is a go-to idea for many a harried shopper.
But what kind of gift card should you get for Aunt Sally or cousin Mike? That's where Bankrate comes in. Using data we collected from Aug. 27 to Sept. 11, 2014, we looked at the terms and features of 62 different gift cards, including general purpose cards, store-branded retail cards, restaurant cards, airline cards and gas station cards.
Using the chart below, you can compare these cards to find out the one that suits your needs based on factors such as the amount you can put on the card to any fees it costs to buy one. This way, everyone comes out a winner this season.
Select card features:
- Inactivity fee
- PIN available
- Loss/theft protection
- Free shipping
- Purchase fees
- Online balance check
American ExpressLoading limits: $25-$3,000. Denomination availability varies depending on gift card design.
- Plastic: $25, $50, $100, $200, $500, $700, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000.
- E-cards are $25-$100 (whole dollar amounts only).
- $2.95 fee for e-cards; $3.95 fee for standard and personalized gift cards.
- Cards not shipped to HI or VT.
- Card and e-card have "Valid Thru" date, but if a balance remains, it will remain unchanged and intact.
- Cards purchasd with $200 value or higher are not eligible for USPS shipping.
BMO Harris Bank MasterCardLoading limits: $25-$1,000
- Amounts over $500 need special arrangements in branch.
- Expiration: Your card will expire on the last day of the month shown on the front of your card. Upon expiration of your card, the underlying funds do not expire.
- Inactivity fee: $3. BMO Harris Bank will charge an inactivity fee each calendar month that your card remains inactive after 12 consecutive months of inactivity. In the event that you then use your card to make a transaction, BMO Harris Bank will stop charging an inactivity fee unless and until another 12 consecutive months of inactivity occurs.
- Purchase fee: $4 per card.
- Check issuance fee (for amount remaining on card): $10.
DiscoverLoading limits: $20-$500.
- Expiration: The "Valid Thru" date shown on the front of your card is not an expiration date, but is for fraud protection. After the "Valid Thru" date, your available funds will be temporarily unavailable until you contact customer service for a free replacement card with a new "Valid Thru" date.
- Purchase Fee: $3.95
- Dormancy fee: $2.50 monthly fee if unused for 12 months.
- Cards will not be sold or shipped to: CO, HI, ME, NJ, TN, VT.
Fifth Third Bank MasterCardLoading limits: $25, $50, $100, $250.
- Expiration is up to about 10 years.
- Purchase fee: $3.95 for $25; $4.95 for $50; $5.95 for $100; $6.95 for $250.
KeyBank MasterCardLoading limits: $25-$2,500.
- Purchase fee: $3.95
- Expiration: Up to 7 years after date of purchase.
- Forfeiture of card balance. All refund requests KeyBank received more than 30 calendar days after the expiration date will not be accepted. All rights, title, interests and claims of any kind in and to any card balance, remaining 30 days after the expiration date, by the initial purchaser of the card and each subsequent holder, recipient or transferee of the card, shall be forfeited in full, and the remaining card balance shall be retained by us for our own account free and clear of all claims by any person or other entity.
- Replacement card: KeyBank will not issue a replacement for a lost, stolen or expired card. You may request a refund of the unused card balance in the manner described in the paragraph above.
U.S. Bank VisaLoading limits: $25-$500.
- Purchase fee: $3.95 at branch; $6.95 online.
- U.S. Bank will charge a $15 fee to replace a lost or stolen card, which will be deducted from the balance of your card. A reissued card may take up to 30 days to process. Shipping fee: $6.95.
- Cards expire about 4 years after the date of issue.
Wells Fargo VisaLoading limits: $10-$500 in store, $25-$500 online.
- Replacement card fee: $7.50 / $15 fee if a check is written for remaining balance.
- Wells Fargo is no longer selling gift cards, nor can they be used in VT.
- Purchase in-store: $3.95 / Online: $3.95 + $1.50 shipping.
- Funds do not expire, though card has an expiration date (up to 4 years from purchase). Card can be replaced for free after expiration, as long as there is still a balance.
Sorry, we could not locate any cards that match all your requirements.
Try unselecting some of the features above to widen your search.