November 2011: Top 10 states for foreclosure
Foreclosure filings were down 3 percent nationally from October to November. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in November. Nationally, 1 in every 579 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 Foreclosures by State (as of November 2011)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:579 housing units.
- National average foreclosure sales price: $182,489.
|States*||Average price*||Ratio of foreclosures*||Rates*||Income tax*|
|$119,180||1:175||3.93%||No income tax|
|$237,150||1:211||3.93%||Varies from 1.25% to 9.55%|
|$123,077||1:256||3.98%||Varies from 2.59% to 4.54%|
|$110,121||1:330||3.89%||Varies from 1% to 6%|
|$110,503||1:358||3.93%||No income tax|
|$82,873||1:500||3.89%||Varies from 0.618% to 6.24%|
|$150,898||1:517||3.89%||Varies -- up to 7%|
- *States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in November.
- *Average price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- *Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac’s database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- *Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's Dec. 15, 2011, overnight averages.
- *Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.