- advertisement -
Financial Literacy - College funding
How to pay for college: the loan route
If you have to borrow for college, a loan from the federal government is the least-expensive way to go.
Smart ways to pay for college

How to get government aid

Getting a grant or a loan through the federal government is the least-expensive way to fund your college education. And it pays to know what's available and who's eligible.

Regardless of what route you take, though, the first step is to apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.

Here's a thumbnail look at the types of grants and loans available from the federal government.

How to get government aid
Grants Loans
Pell grants

Federal work-study
Who qualifies: Undergraduate and graduate students with financial need

How it works: Jobs are usually community-service oriented and often related to the student's course of study. Students are paid by the hour for at least the federal minimum wage, and the student is paid by the school. The amount you earn can't exceed your total FWS award. On-campus jobs are usually for the school; off-campus jobs are often with nonprofits or public agencies.

  What's your secret to success with college funds?
Or, are you struggling? Share your story.
-- Posted: Sept. 17, 2007
index | previous article | next article

- advertisement -
- advertisement -
- advertisement -