Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » 1.6M Jeeps in car recall

1.6M Jeeps in car recall

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Saturday, June 29, 2013

Despite earlier refusing a request from the feds to recall 1,560,000 Jeeps in the U.S., parent company Chrysler Group LLC has said it has "resolved its differences" with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and will indeed recall the cars in question. The recall involves some of the 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees and 2002-2007 Jeep Libertys, due to a possible problem with the fuel tank that could result in leakage or a fire in a rear-impact crash.

The announcement of the car recall comes after an increase in signatures on a petition on Change.org demanding the recall. The petition, which received more than 127,000 signatures, was started by Jenelle Embrey, who witnessed a mother and her teenage son burn to death in their 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee in an October 2012 crash. The NHTSA began investigating the Jeep models in 2010 as a result of a request by the Center for Auto Safety, a consumer group that monitors accident data and takes consumer complaints.

Affected cars will get a visual inspection and the addition of a Chrysler-designed tow hitch if they are not already equipped with a hitch and if the structure can support the installation. According to Chrysler, the Chrysler-designed tow hitch will help "better manage crash forces in low-speed impacts." Chrysler maintains that the cars in the recall are not defective and are among the safest cars in their segment.

Do you own one of the cars in the recall? Do you think they're safe?

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

T JACKSON
July 06, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I OWNED A 2007 JEEP LIBERTY AND WAS INVOLVED IN A ACCIDENT THAT CAUSE MY FUEL LINE TO LEAK IT DIDN'T CATCH FIRE BUT THE FIRE FIGHTER THAT RESPONDED SAID IF SOMEBODY ELSE WOULD HAVE HIT MY VEHICLE IT MAY HAVE CAUGHT FIRE. MY VEHICLE WAS REAR ENDED ON A HIGHWAY. I NEVER GOT A RECALL LETTER AND I BROUGHT IT BRANDNEW IN 07 THIS ACCIDENT OCCURED THIS YEAR 2013

Susan McHenry
July 06, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I own a 2000 Grand Cherokee and a 2008 Liberty, it doesn't make me feel real good that neither of my years were recalled. You all know they will revisit this and recall them also. I hope it is not too late!!!

natalie
July 06, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I have a 2004 jeep liberty. When will I get my recall notice or can i just take it in

Mark White
July 06, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Holly exploding Pinto Batman!

Carmon Vicknair
July 06, 2013 at 7:50 pm

My father-in-law had an 1997 Jeep Cherokee. In 2006 he got rear ended and it burst into flames! Needless to say he was burned alive! We lost a husband, father and grandfather. We hired a lawyer but got no where with it. I think they really should have to pay my mother-in-law something since they knew about this and did nothing to fix this problem!!!

Raeann
July 06, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I have a 2000 jeep Wrangler, I have not received any sort of recall but the jeep eats batteries and break lines rust in 2.... Luckily my college bound daughter new how to down shift that kept her from a crash! How do I find out if there are any recalls?

Bob Hughes
July 06, 2013 at 6:02 pm

We got rear ended by two cars in our 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5 yrs ago, the cop said the only thing that saved us was the fact I had a tow hitch. I know its low tech but it really really did help us.Pictures to prove it if anyone wants to see.

Lisa
July 06, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I also own a 2004 jeep liberty and I have never ever got any kind of recall for my jeep. I also travel a lot. And would like to know why some jeep owners get recalls on there jeeps and some don't.

lawrence cooper
July 06, 2013 at 4:52 pm

why havent i been notified of this i just had it fix for a recall that it can flip got that fix i have a jeep liberty 2004 now it the gas tank and no i dont have a tow hitch so when do i get notified on what to do with this recall once again. please ansewer promptly to my e mail addy so i know what i can do. this is serious need fix immediately ty

Darlene Walker
July 06, 2013 at 4:44 pm

My Daughter owns a Jeep Liberty, She & my grandkids ride in she travels alot with the grandkids giving rides school etc. I would like to know whom she should take it to to look at it to fix imediatly