'Tricked out' car may be tough sell

Dear Terry,
I've had a 1997 Acura Integra RS sitting in my garage for the past four years. I am hesitant to sell it because I have a few modifications on it that "normal" people would consider extreme (racing steering wheel, racing headers, racing exhaust system, etc.).

Should I return the car back to stock, sell it as is or just donate it? Any suggestions would be helpful.
-- Shuhei

Dear Shuhei,
You don't say whether the modifications on the car make it illegal for street use -- such as not being able to pass an emissions test. If that's the case and you have the stock parts you took off the car, I would return it to street condition and try to sell it.

If you don't have the parts and would have to buy them, I would either try to sell the car as-is -- fully disclosing that the car isn't street legal -- or donate it to a tech school with an automotive program and take a tax write-off, assuming you can find a school to take it.

Here are this week's reader questions:
Tips for unloading a gas-guzzling SUV
What should I do with 'tricked out' Acura?
Why won't the finance company pick up my car?
Do I need to use premium gas?

Show Bankrate's community sharing policy
          Connect with us


Tara Baukus Mello

543K more Toyota cars recalled for air bags

The auto giant has announced another air bag recall in order to meet safety standards.  ... Read more

Connect with us