Car loan chains woman to freeloading ex

Dear Terry,
I have a car loan with my ex. He has the car at this time and once again is not paying for it.

Do I have any option to get my name off of this car since I have not had it for almost three years? The loan was signed as "AND," not "OR." Is there anything I can do now, or do I have to wait until the car is found by the loan company?
-- Cassandra

Dear Cassandra,
Unfortunately, you're stuck, unless you have something in your divorce decree that mitigates the situation.

You need to make clear to the lender that you're willing (assuming you are) to bring the loan up to date once you have possession.

You probably need to consult your divorce attorney about getting an agreement that your ex won't try to take possession of the car unless he makes the payments.

Here are this week's reader questions:
Dealer woes put buyers in driver's seat
Would I still owe after voluntary repo?
Should I pay off my car note?
Am I stuck with ex's loan?

Show Bankrate's community sharing policy
          Connect with us

A little research could save you BIG on interest.

Don't have time? Our rate-tracker tool saves you time and money. Delivered Thursdays.
Partner Center


Tara Baukus Mello

Most kids out of boosters too soon

A new study found that 90 percent of parents are letting their children ride in a seatbelt without a booster seat before it is safe for them to do so.  ... Read more

Connect with us