The South Dakota CollegeAccess 529 advisor-sold only plan offers age-based, static asset allocation, and individual fund portfolio options utilizing a large array of investment managers including Allianz Global Investors U.S., Boston Company, Dodge & Cox, Franklin Templeton, ING, Marsico, NFJ, PIMCO, Royce, TIAA-CREF and Thornburg mutual funds.
- Summary: The South Dakota CollegeAccess 529 advisor-sold only plan offers age-based, static asset allocation, and individual fund portfolio options utilizing a large array of investment managers including Allianz Global Investors U.S., Boston Company, Dodge & Cox, Franklin Templeton, ING, Marsico, NFJ, PIMCO, Royce, TIAA-CREF and Thornburg mutual funds.
- Program type: Savings
- Telephone: 1-866-529-7462
- Web site: Click here to visit
- Program manager: Allianz Global Investors Distributors LLC
- State residency requirements: None
- Maximum contributions: Accepts contributions until all account balances in South Dakota's 529 plan for the same beneficiary reach $350,000.
- Minimum contributions: With lump-sum contributions, the minimum initial contribution is $1,000 ($250 per investment option), and the minimum subsequent contribution is $50 per investment option. With the automatic investment plan, the minimum initial contribution is $250 and the minimum subsequent contribution level is $50 per month.
- Age-based investment options: The Age-Based Option consists of 5 portfolios of underlying mutual funds. Contributions are placed into the portfolio corresponding to the age of the beneficiary or the anticipated years to matriculation, and later reassigned to more conservative portfolios as the beneficiary approaches college age.
- Static investment options: Select among 3 multi-fund portfolios (Diversified Equity, Diversified Bond, and Money Market Plus) and 15 individual-fund portfolios. The 5 portfolios in the age-based option are also available as static investments.
- Underlying investments: Mutual funds managed by Allianz, Boston Company, Columbia, Dodge & Cox, Franklin Templeton, ING, NFJ, PIMCO, Royce, TIAA-CREF and Thornburg.
- Enrollment or application fee: None, but contributions may be subject to a sales charge depending on share class.
- Account maintenance fee: $5 per quarter for accounts with less than $20,000. The fee is waived for participants with an automatic investment plan, accounts where a common owner has accounts aggregating over $50,000 of value, and for South Dakota residents.
- Program management fees: 0.35% manager fee (waived for SD residents), plus distribution/servicing fees of 0.35% (Classes A and SD-A), 1.10% (Classes B and C), or 1.00% (Class SD-C)
- Expenses of the underlying investments: Ranges from 0.45% to 0.62% (portfolio weighted average) in the age-based, 0.32% to 0.65% in the static multi-fund portfolios, and 0.18% to 1.07% in the individual-fund portfolios.
- Total asset-based expense ratio: Class A: 0.63% - 1.77%
Class B: 0.63% - 2.52%
Class C: 0.63% - 2.52%
Class SD-A: 0.28% - 1.42%
Class SD-C: 0.28% - 2.07%
- Program match on contributions: None.
- State tax deduction or credit for contributions: Not applicable. South Dakota does not have a personal income tax.