The Maine NextGen College Investing Plan -- Client Direct Series 529 program is promoted by Merrill Edge. The plan utilizes BlackRock (including iShares) funds in its age-based and static options. In addition, the Principal Plus Portfolio and NextGen Savings Portfolio are offered.
- Summary: The Maine NextGen College Investing Plan -- Client Direct Series 529 program is promoted by Merrill Edge. The plan utilizes BlackRock (including iShares) funds in its age-based and static options. In addition, the Principal Plus Portfolio and NextGen Savings Portfolio are offered.
- Program type: Savings
- Program manager: Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated
- State residency requirements: None
- Maximum contributions: Accepts contributions until all account balances in 529 plans for the same beneficiary reach $400,000.
- Minimum contributions: With lump-sum contributions, the minimum initial contribution is $25; may be waived for Maine residents eligible for certain grants and the minimum subsequent contribution is $25. With the automatic investment plan, there is no initial contribution required but subsequent automated contributions must be at least $25 per month. All contributions must allocate a minimum of $25 per portfolio.
- Age-based investment options: Choose between two age-based options with six portfolios each. One invests in BlackRock funds, the other invests in iShares ETFs. Contributions are placed into the portfolio corresponding to the beneficiary's age. The portfolios automatically shift to a more conservative investment allocation over time.
- Static investment options: Select from an iShares fixed-income portfolio, an iShares diversified equity Portfolio, an iShares balanced portfolio, two BlackRock equity portfolios, a BlackRock balanced portfolio, a BlackRock fixed income portfolio, the Principal Plus Portfolio or NextGen Savings Portfolio.
- Underlying investments: BlackRock, iShares. The Principal Plus Portfolio consists of one or more guaranteed investment contracts issued by one or more insurance companies, deposits in an interest-bearing FDIC-insured bank account at Bank of America, N.A., and to the extent approved by FAME, corporate fixed-income investments and/or similar instruments.
. The NextGen Savings Portfolio is comprised of an interest-bearing bank deposit account with Bank of America, N.A.
- Enrollment or application fee: None.
- Account maintenance fee: None
- Program management fees: None for the BlackRock Age-Based and NextGen Savings Portfolio; 0.07% for the BlackRock Equity Index Portfolio (no state fee), 0.20% for the iShares portfolios (no state administrative fee).
- Expenses of the underlying investments: Ranges from 0.10% to 0.69% (portfolio weighted average) in the age-based and static multi-fund portfolios, 0.12% in the BlackRock Equity Index Portfolio, 0.31% in the iShares Balanced Portfolio. None for the Principal Plus Portfolio and NextGen Savings Portfolio.
- Total asset-based expense ratio: 0.00% - 0.69%
- Program match on contributions: New Maine accounts may be eligible to receive a $200 Initial Matching Grant when the account is opened with at least $25 (one grant per eligible beneficiary, no income limitations). The NextStep Matching Grant provides a 50% match on contributions up to a $300 grant per year (one grant per eligible beneficiary, no income limitations). A $100 Automated Funding Grant is available for accounts that make six consecutive contributions, no less frequently than quarterly, through an automated funding option (one grant per account, no income limitations).
Separately, if a beneficiary is eligible for the $500 Harold Alfond College Challenge Grant, the initial contribution is waived when a NextGen account is opened.
- State tax deduction or credit for contributions: Contributions to Maine AND non-Maine 529 plans of up to $250 per beneficiary per year are deductible in computing Maine taxable income for taxpayers with federal adjusted gross income of $100,000 or less (single or married filing separate) or $200,000 or less (joint or head of household).
- Web site: Click here to visit
- Telephone: 1-877-463-9843