Arkansas' iShares 529 Plan from BlackRock is comprised solely of iShares ETFs and offers 7 year-of-enrollment portfolios, 4 asset allocation options, and 17 individual portfolios. These 21 portfolios can be mixed and matched or used independently of one another to achieve the investment allocation desired. Accounts can be linked to the Upromise rewards service.
- Summary: Arkansas' iShares 529 Plan from BlackRock is comprised solely of iShares ETFs and offers 7 year-of-enrollment portfolios, 4 asset allocation options, and 17 individual portfolios. These 21 portfolios can be mixed and matched or used independently of one another to achieve the investment allocation desired. Accounts can be linked to the Upromise rewards service.
- Program type: Savings
- Program manager: Ascensus Broker Dealer Services, Inc.
- State residency requirements: None
- Maximum contributions: Accepts contributions until all account balances in Arkansas' 529 plans for the same beneficiary reach $366,000.
- Minimum contributions: With lump-sum contributions, the minimum initial contribution is $500, and the minimum subsequent contribution is $50. With the automatic investment plan, the minimum contribution level is $50 per month or $150 per quarter via bank transfer or $25 per pay period via payroll deduction. The minimum contribution drops to $25 for gift contributions made through the Plan's Ugift feature.
- Age-based investment options: The seven iShares Year-of-Enrollment Portfolios are based upon the designated beneficiary's anticipated year of enrollment, rather than the designated beneficiary's age. The asset allocation of the money invested in these investment options is automatically adjusted quarterly over time to become more conservative as the number of years to enrollment for the Designated Beneficiary decreases.
- Static investment options: The four iShares Asset Allocation Portfolios are designed to meet a specific risk profile and are offered in Aggressive, Moderate, Conservative and Fixed Income allocations. The asset allocation is reviewed at least annually and may be updated to take into account changes in risk and correlations of the asset classes and underlying investments. A dollar-cost averaging option provides for automatic monthly reallocations. The Custom iShares portfolio option offers sixteen individual portfolios investing in equity, real estate or fixed-income funds. A savings option invests in an FDIC-insured account.
- Underlying investments: iShares exchange traded funds (ETFs).
- Enrollment or application fee: None.
- Account maintenance fee: $10 annually, waived for accounts with $20,000 or more.
- Program management fees: Year-to-Enrollment and Asset Allocation Portfolios:
0.40% manager fee, including 0.05% state administration fee
0.35% manager fee, including 0.05% state administration fee
- Expenses of the underlying investments: Ranges from 0.11% to 0.26% (portfolio weighted average) in the Year-to-Enrollment and Asset Allocation Portfolios, 0.08% to 0.68% in the Custom Portfolios, none for the Savings Portfolio.
- Total asset-based expense ratio: 0.35% - 1.03
- Program match on contributions: None.
- State tax deduction or credit for contributions: Contributions to an Arkansas 529 plan of up to $5,000 per year by an individual, and up to $10,000 per year by a married couple filing jointly, are deductible in computing Arkansas taxable income. Contribution deadline is December 31, and state must receive it by a specified date following December 31.
- Web site: Click here to visit
- Telephone: 1-888-529-9552