The manager for Alabama CollegeCounts 529 Fund Advisor Plan changed from Van Kampen to Union Bank and Trust Company in August 2010. It features age-based, static and individual fund portfolio options using mutual funds from multiple fund firms.
- Summary: The manager for Alabama CollegeCounts 529 Fund Advisor Plan changed from Van Kampen to Union Bank and Trust Company in August 2010. It features age-based, static and individual fund portfolio options using mutual funds from multiple fund firms.
- Program type: Savings
- Telephone: 1-866-529-2228
- Web site: Click here to visit
- Facebook Click here to visit
- Program manager: UBT 529 Fund Services, a division of Union Bank & Trust Company
- State residency requirements: None
- Maximum contributions: Accepts contributions until all account balances in Alabama 529 plans for the same beneficiary reach $350,000.
- Minimum contributions: No minimum.
- Age-based investment options: The Age-Based Portfolios option is offered in 3 different risk levels (Aggressive, Moderate, and Conservative) each containing 5 portfolios of underlying mutual funds. Contributions are placed into the portfolio corresponding to the risk level selected and based on the age of the beneficiary, and later reassigned to more conservative portfolios as the beneficiary approaches college age.
- Static investment options: Select among 6 multi-fund Target portfolios and 25 Individual-fund portfolios.
- Underlying investments: PIMCO, BlackRock, T. Rowe Price, Northern Funds, Fidelity, American Century, William Blair, Lazard, Neuberger Berman, Lord Abbett, and Cohen & Steers, Credit Suisse, DFA, ING, Templeton, Touchstone
- Enrollment or application fee: None, but contributions may be subject to a sales charge depending on share class.
- Account maintenance fee: $12 annually, waived if either the account owner or designated beneficiary is an Alabama resident.
- Program management fees: 0.42% (includes 0.10% state administrative fee), plus distribution/servicing fee of 0.25% (Class A), 0.50% (Class C), or 0.00% (Class F). The BlackRock Cash option has no state administrative, distribuiton, or servicing fee.
- Expenses of the underlying investments: Ranges from 0.12% to 0.61% (portfolio weighted average) in the age-based and static multi-fund portfolios, and 0.11% to 1.25% in the individual-fund portfolios.
- Total asset-based expense ratio: Class A: 0.44% - 1.92%
Class C: 0.44% - 2.17%
Class F: 0.44% - 1.67%
- Program match on contributions: None.
- State tax deduction or credit for contributions: Contributions, including rollover contributions, to an Alabama 529 plan of up to $5,000 per year by an individual, and up to $10,000 per year by married taxpayers filing jointly who each make their own contributions, are deductible in computing Alabama taxable income.