7 tips for a frugal, hassle-free road trip
Saving whatever you can on gas is crucial. In late April, the average national price of gasoline was $3.87 per gallon, up $1.03 from a year ago according to the Department of Energy. That's a big jump.
To find the best prices for gas while on your road trip, log onto GasBuddy.com and enter the city and state, or ZIP code in the search box. It tells you the price of gas near your location.
Ross offers some other suggestions on how to get the best gas mileage:
- Pack the vehicle as lightly as you can.
- Follow the speed limit.
- Avoid aggressive tactics such as rapid acceleration or frequent braking.
- Have the correct tire pressure and tire tread.
- Use a map or GPS so you don't get lost.
- Rent a fuel-efficient car such as a Toyota Prius Hybrid (50 mpg city-highway combined) or Nissan Altima Hybrid (33 mpg, city-highway).