smart spending

5 ways to find cash for caregivers

Where should you start?
2 of 6
Where should you start?

Consider this typical situation: An adult daughter attends to her mother about three hours per day, helping her dress, cook and eat, while monitoring her medications. "Other siblings may not live nearby and they may think they are helping by just calling their mom, without any real idea of what their sister is doing," says Richard Kaplan, a University of Illinois law professor who specializes in elder issues.

If donating her time is a hardship -- perhaps because she's cut back on her salaried job -- the first step toward getting compensated is to let other family members know exactly what services are being performed, Kaplan says. A parent may qualify for government assistance to pay for care. To be sure, the caregiver must outline what services are rendered to prove the assistance qualifies for payment.

If a parent qualifies for Medicaid, he or she may be able to qualify for a growing number of programs, says Kevin Mahoney, director of the Center for the Study of Home and Community Life at Boston College. State rules differ, but you must be low-income and have assets outside of a home worth only about $2,000.

Also, veterans or their surviving spouses may qualify for similar assistance through the Department of Veterans Affairs.




Show Bankrate's community sharing policy
          Connect with us
Find Senior Housing Near You

Let us help you compare

  • Pictures
  • Pricing
  • Options
Zip code or City, State

Get Help Now


Learn the latest trends that will help grow your portfolio, plus tips on investing strategies. Delivered weekly.


Jean Chatzky

Jean Chatzky: Talking money with adult kids

In case they become incapacitated, parents need to provide financial guidance to their adult children -- and keep everyone in the loop. That doesn't mean they have to reveal everything.  ... Read more


Senior Living Adviser

How do I earn money fast, easy?

Dear Senior Living Adviser, I'm a 63-year-old single woman who lost everything in the housing bust. I went bankrupt about 2 1/2 years ago and had to file early for Social Security benefits. I make $800 a month and I live...

View more Bankrate Advisers »

Partner Center

Connect with us