Balance transfer procedures
If you've decided to transfer credit card balances but don't know how to go about it, print out and save this page to ensure a smooth transition from one credit card to another.
First, gather some information on your old card. Dig out your most recent bill and a copy of the current agreement with the old credit card, plus the agreement with the new card company.
Now that you have the necessary information, you're ready to make the transfer.
Follow these steps in order, checking them off one at a time.
Credit card account close-out procedure
- Send minimum payment to old company by due date.
- Sign up for new card.
- Complete balance transfer form.
- While balance is pending, continue to make minimum payments by due date to old card.
- Receive notice of balance transfer to new company.
- Call old company to verify balance transfer.
- Receive billing statement with zero balance from old card company.
- Close old account by calling or writing the issuer. Ask the issuer to note in any statement to a credit bureau that the account was closed at the customer's request.