Checking accounts come in a variety of styles. Some are free, some are not. Some say they are free and are not.
- Types of checking accounts
- Free checking
- Bankrate.com’s checking account survey
- Float and Check 21
- Overdraft protection plans
Who goes into the bank lobby anymore? ATMs make getting and depositing our cash easier. But are you paying too much for the privilege?
- ABCs of ATMs
- ATM fees
- Making a deposit at an ATM
- Debit cards
- Tips for responsible use of debit cards
When will “free checking” cost you? It depends on the individual institution and your banking habits.
- Fees, fees and more fees
- How to avoid fees
- How to complain to the bank
- The final fee — closing an account
You need to keep some money in your account and balance your checkbook. The bank has responsibilities, too.
- Online banking
- Anatomy of a bank account statement
- Patriot Act compliance
- Opting out to protect your privacy
- Protecting your money
- How safe is your bank?
- Tips for your banking relationship