February 2012: Top 10 states for foreclosure
Foreclosure filings were down 2 percent nationally from January to February. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in February. Nationally, 1 in every 637 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 Foreclosures by State (as of February 2012)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:637 housing units.
- National average foreclosure sales price: $165,321.
|States*||Average price*||Ratio of foreclosures*||Rates*||Income tax*|
|$116,441||1:278||3.92%||No income tax|
|$230,058||1:283||3.92%||Varies from 1.25% to 9.55%|
|$132,066||1:312||3.94%||Varies from 2.59% to 4.54%|
|$100,294||1:331||3.83%||Varies from 1% to 6%|
|$106,512||1:341||3.93%||No income tax|
|$110,007||1:489||3.94%||Varies from 3% to 7%|
|$65,658||1:543||3.97%||Varies from 0.578% to 5.925%|
|$103,150||1:596||4.01%||Varies from 4.6% to 7.75%|
- *States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in February.
- *Average price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- *Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac’s database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- *Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's March 14, 2012, overnight averages.
- *Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.