December 2011: Top 10 states for foreclosure
Foreclosure filings were down 9 percent nationally from November to December. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in November. Nationally, 1 in every 634 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 Foreclosures by State (as of December 2011)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:634 housing units.
- National average foreclosure sales price: $182,516.
|States*||Average price*||Ratio of foreclosures*||Rates*||Income tax*|
|$119,510||1:177||3.92%||No income tax|
|$235,529||1:254||3.95%||Varies from 1.25% to 9.55%|
|$135,709||1:357||3.91%||Varies from 2.59% to 4.54%|
|$119,236||1:360||3.89%||No income tax|
|$99,304||1:381||3.85%||Varies from 1% to 6%|
|$121,100||1:485||3.93%||Varies -- up to 6.95%|
|$73,420||1:583||3.86%||Varies from 0.618% to 6.24%|
- *States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in December.
- *Average price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- *Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac’s database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- *Rates:Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's Jan. 19, 2012, overnight averages.
- *Income tax:The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.