January 2012: Top 10 states for foreclosure
Foreclosure filings were up 3 percent nationally from December to January. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in January. Nationally, 1 in every 624 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 Foreclosures by State (as of January 2012)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:624 housing units.
- National average foreclosure sales price: $167,659.
|States*||Average price*||Ratio of foreclosures*||Rates*||Income tax*|
|$115,454||1:198||3.86%||No income tax|
|$226,060||1:265||3.83%||Varies from 1.25% to 9.55%|
|$122,003||1:325||3.88%||Varies from 2.59% to 4.54%|
|$113,982||1:328||3.78%||Varies from 1% to 6%|
|$116,233||1:363||3.82%||No income tax|
|$140,463||1:373||3.91%||Varies -- up to 6.95%|
|$175,768||1:523||3.87%||4.63% of federal taxable income|
|$102,165||1:555||3.82%||3.4% of gross income|
- *States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in January.
- *Average price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- *Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac’s database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- *Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's Feb. 15, 2012, overnight averages.
- *Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.