Add some research to your beauty routine and try before you buy:
- Check reviews of beauty products on Beautypedia.com, because they are based on the ingredient list and published research and comparisons to similar products for the price, not on personal opinion.
- Download free beauty applications such as ModiFace MakeUp and InStyle Hairstyle Try-On and upload your photo to try on hairstyles and makeup shades before you buy.
- Use coupons, scan quick response, or QR, codes (a type of bar code), join social media for your favorite brands and stores and work store reward programs and department store gift-with-purchase promotions.
- Sample colors and skincare products for free at cosmetics specialty stores such as Sephora and shop online wherever your choice of samples is free with your order at sites such as Sephora.com, Ulta.com and others.
- Always ask for fragrance samples in small vials so you can try them over many days before buying a whole bottle.
And remember: "Most websites and retailers have relaxed their return policies for beauty products, so save your receipts and return it if you are unhappy," says Bauxal.