2014 high-yield checking accounts: Capital Bank
Capital Bank in Coral Gables, Florida, offers Smart Checking, with a below-average annual percentage yield that can be earned only on the first $10,000 of an account holder's balance. Bankrate's 2014 High-Yield Checking Survey breaks down the returns you can get with each account and the hoops you'll have to jump through to get them.
|Nationally offered? N||APY: 0.75%||APY if conditions not met: 0.05%||Monthly debit transactions required: 10||Bill pay or automatic withdrawal required? Y*||Direct deposit required? Y*||Balance cap: $10,000|
- Smart Checking: Available only in Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
- Must open account in a branch.
- One direct deposit or draft is required per month.
- Minimum to avoid monthly fee: $1,500.
- Monthly fee: $12.
- Balance above $10,000 yields 0.20%, if qualifications are met.
- ATM refund: Up to $20 per statement cycle, if qualifications are met.
*See notes section for more details.
Bankrate.com canvassed banks, thrifts and credit unions March 10-13 and reports data on 56 high-yield checking accounts offered by 54 institutions.