8 tips for choosing a foreclosure attorney

Finding a lawyer
Finding a lawyer

After talking with a counselor, if you still want to consult a lawyer, it's time to search for one. There are a number of ways to do it.

"Google," says Carol Asbury, a lawyer and owner of Save My Home Law Group, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. A Web search will find articles, like this one, that quote foreclosure lawyers. "I would say the most common way is the typical way, which is by word of mouth," Asbury says.

But how do you find a trustworthy referral? Rheingold suggests calling a Legal Aid office. The Legal Services Corp. has a look-up page here. "If you qualify by income, that would be the best place to go," Rheingold says. "If you don't qualify by income, they might have some referrals for you."

Rheingold suggests two websites. First, his employer, NACA (click on the "Find an Attorney" tab). Second, a nonprofit called Institute for Foreclosure Legal Assistance, a joint project of NACA and the Center for Responsible Lending.

Local bar associations can offer referrals, too. The American Bar Association has a look-up page here.


Connect with us