- advertisement -

Where do you file your return?
By Kay Bell • Bankrate.com

Your individual tax return might be going to a new location this year for processing, thanks to the continued restructuring of the Internal Revenue Service's service centers.

Evaluation of all center operations resulted in consolidation and shifting of some of duties. Individual returns are now processed in seven offices instead of the 10 used previously. And geographic oddities have been smoothed out, with taxpayers now sending their forms to centers closer to their homes.

The IRS also has specialized its return processing with a ZIP-code presorting system. Returns now move through the agency based on which form is filed and whether the taxpayer is getting a refund or paying a bill.

- advertisement -

If you received a tax instruction booklet earlier this year, simply use the envelope (and the appropriate color-coded label that came with it) and you'll be OK. But if you've moved to a state other than the one on your tax material or misplaced the package altogether, check the table below to see where to send your 2003 return. No street address is needed; all forms should be mailed simply to Internal Revenue Service Center in the city shown.

If you live in
Send your return (using appropriate ZIP+four) to
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Carolina, West Virginia

Atlanta, Ga. 39901

Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming Fresno, Calif. 93888
Arkansas, Colorado, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas Austin, Texas 73301
Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, Pa. 19255
Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin Kansas City, Mo. 64999
Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont Andover, Mass. 05501
Ohio, Virginia Memphis, Tenn. 37501

You also need to let the IRS know on your tax return envelope whether you've enclosed a payment or are expecting a refund. This is done via the last four numbers of the center's full nine-digit ZIP code.

Taxpayers who owe no tax or are due a refund should add the following ZIP-plus-four digits depending on which return filed:

  • 0002 for Form 1040
  • 0015 for Form 1040A
  • 0014 for Form 1040EZ

Taxpayers who must make a tax payment with their return should add:

  • 0102 for Form 1040
  • 0115 for Form 1040A
  • 0114 for Form 1040EZ

All taxpayers with APO and FPO addresses, those who live in American Samoa, Puerto Rico or other foreign countries, or who are non-permanent residents of Guam or the Virgin Islands should mail their returns to the Internal Revenue Service Center in Philadelphia, PA 19255-0215. In these cases, there is no ZIP-plus-four code distinction between returns owing tax or getting refunds.

-- Updated April 6, 2004

top of page
See Also
Bankrate Tax Forms Library
Wrong address can mean a lost tax refund
Tracking down your tax refund

Compare Rates
30 yr fixed mtg 4.45%
48 month new car loan 3.77%
1 yr CD 0.89%
Rates may include points

Mortgage calculator
See your FICO Score Range -- Free
How much money can you save in your 401(k) plan?
Which is better -- a rebate or special dealer financing?

Tax Basics
Knowing how to file can save you money.
Filling out the W-4 form
What is my tax rate?
How to itemize deductions
Tax credits can lower bill
Death and taxes
Tax record-keeping

Income tax rates  
Tax forms  
State taxes  
Tax basics

- advertisement -
- advertisement -