Compare our best 90% LTV mortgages

For a 90% LTV mortgage, you only need a 10% deposit. It is a popular choice for first time buyers with small deposits. Compare our best 90% LTV mortgages, but be careful of higher interest rates. Mortgages with lower LTVs tend to have lower rates. Explore our guide to find out how you can buy your first home, remortgage or move house with a 90% LTV mortgage.

Mortgage type

Property price

£

Mortgage amount

£

Mortgage term

years

Initial rate type

Deal length

Repayment type

Our best 90% LTV mortgage rates

  • TSB 2 Year Fixed mortgage

    Initial rate 1.64%. APRC 3.4%. Set-up fees £995
  • Monmouthshire Building Society 2 Year Variable mortgage

    Initial rate 1.99%. APRC 4.3%. Set-up fees £0
  • Leek United 2 Year Variable mortgage

    Initial rate 2%. APRC 4.8%. Set-up fees £0
  • TSB 2 Year Fixed mortgage

    Initial rate 2.04%. APRC 3.3%. Set-up fees £0
  • TSB 5 Year Fixed mortgage

    Initial rate 2.14%. APRC 3.1%. Set-up fees £995
  • Leek United 2 Year Fixed mortgage

    Initial rate 2.15%. APRC 4.9%. Set-up fees £995
  • Clydesdale Bank 2 Year Fixed mortgage

    Initial rate 2.19%. APRC 4.3%. Set-up fees £499
  • Yorkshire Bank 2 Year Fixed mortgage

    Initial rate 2.19%. APRC 4.2%. Set-up fees £499
  • Leek United 2 Year Variable mortgage

    Initial rate 2.2%. APRC 4.9%. Set-up fees £0
  • Clydesdale Bank 3 Year Fixed mortgage

    Initial rate 2.34%. APRC 4.1%. Set-up fees £499
  • We've found 184 mortgage deals

    TSB

    2 Year Fixed

    Initial rate

    1.64%

    until 30-11-2022

    APRC

    3.4%

    overall cost for comparison

    Set-up fees

    £995

    Monthly payment

    £731.79

    for 24 months

    Monmouthshire Building Society

    2 Year Variable

    Initial rate

    1.99%

    APRC

    4.3%

    overall cost for comparison

    Set-up fees

    £0

    Monthly payment

    £762.06

    for 24 months

    Leek United

    2 Year Variable

    Initial rate

    2%

    APRC

    4.8%

    overall cost for comparison

    Set-up fees

    £0

    Monthly payment

    £762.94

    for 24 months

    TSB

    2 Year Fixed

    Initial rate

    2.04%

    until 30-11-2022

    APRC

    3.3%

    overall cost for comparison

    Set-up fees

    £0

    Monthly payment

    £766.45

    for 24 months

    TSB

    5 Year Fixed

    Initial rate

    2.14%

    until 30-11-2025

    APRC

    3.1%

    overall cost for comparison

    Set-up fees

    £995

    Monthly payment

    £775.27

    for 60 months

    Leek United

    2 Year Fixed

    Initial rate

    2.15%

    until 31-01-2023

    APRC

    4.9%

    overall cost for comparison

    Set-up fees

    £995

    Monthly payment

    £776.15

    for 24 months

    Clydesdale Bank

    2 Year Fixed

    Initial rate

    2.19%

    until 31-12-2022

    APRC

    4.3%

    overall cost for comparison

    Set-up fees

    £499

    Monthly payment

    £779.70

    for 24 months

    Yorkshire Bank

    2 Year Fixed

    Initial rate

    2.19%

    until 31-12-2022

    APRC

    4.2%

    overall cost for comparison

    Set-up fees

    £499

    Monthly payment

    £779.70

    for 24 months

    Leek United

    2 Year Variable

    Initial rate

    2.2%

    APRC

    4.9%

    overall cost for comparison

    Set-up fees

    £0

    Monthly payment

    £780.59

    for 24 months

    Clydesdale Bank

    3 Year Fixed

    Initial rate

    2.34%

    until 31-12-2023

    APRC

    4.1%

    overall cost for comparison

    Set-up fees

    £499

    Monthly payment

    £793.08

    for 36 months

    Not ready to get a mortgage?

    Learn more about how to get a mortgage

    Show simple deals list

    Representative example:

    If you borrowed £200,000 payable over 25 years, with an initial fixed-rate for two years at 4.79%, your monthly payments would be £1,144.84 for 24 months. This would then revert to a standard variable rate (SVR) of 4.24% for the remaining 23 years, costing £1,086.24 per month for 276 months. Overall cost for comparison is 4.5% APRC representative. The total amount payable over the full term would be £328,272, including product fee of £995 and interest of £127,277.

    Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.

    What is a 90% LTV mortgage?

    A 90% LTV mortgage is where you save up a deposit of 10%, and get a mortgage loan for the remaining 90%. The good news is: you are likely to be offered lower interest rates on your borrowing than if you only had a 5% deposit (95% LTV) – but the trade-off is that you need to save up a larger pot of cash.

    LTV (loan-to-value) refers to the ratio between how much loan you need to buy a property vs. how much it is worth.

    With a 90% LTV mortgage, you borrow 90% of the cost of the home you want to buy and put down the remaining 10% as your deposit, which will most likely either be from cash savings or home equity.

    For example, if you’re buying a £400,000 property, you’d need a deposit (or equity) of £40,000 to have an LTV of 90%. The remaining £360,000 would be lent to you by the mortgage provider.

    Whether you’re buying your first place, remortgaging or moving house, a 90% loan-to-value (LTV) mortgage is a pretty good place to start.

    Can I buy my first home with a 90% LTV mortgage?

    Yes, you can. If you’re a first-time buyer, and you’ve managed to save up a 10% deposit, then… congratulations! That’s no mean feat with ever-increasing living costs, the state of the property market and a global pandemic to contend with.

    As a first-time buyer with a 90% LTV, you’ll have access to mortgage products with more competitive interest rates (that could save you thousands of pounds in interest payments) than 95 and 100% mortgages.

    As a general rule, the bigger the deposit, the better the rates. Lower interest rates mean a larger proportion of your repayments will go towards paying off the capital you owe rather than being swallowed up by the interest charges.

    So not only will having a bigger deposit mean you need to borrow less, you will pay less interest on what you borrow, too. It’s a win-win.

    Can I remortgage or move house with a 90% LTV mortgage?

    If you’re moving house or remortgaging, and you have positive home equity of at least 10%, then you can get a 90% LTV mortgage.

    For example, if you owe £400,000 to your mortgage provider, but your home has gone up in value to £450,000, then you have positive equity of £50,000.

    You can use that equity to get a new mortgage, rather than having to save up a deposit. Or, if you do have savings, you can add those to the equation and reduce your LTV even further.

    If you can reduce your LTV to 85%, 80%, or even lower, then you could be offered even more desirable interest rates by mortgage lenders.

    You can find out how much you owe on your mortgage by checking your most recent statement – or ask your lender directly. To find out how much your home is worth now, get a rough estimate online or ask an estate agent for a valuation.

    Watch out for fees

    Be warned that while some lenders may offer temptingly low mortgage deals, when you scratch beneath the surface you find you will need to pay legal, valuation or administration costs that can add up to thousands.

    Always find out what fees you will be charged in advance. Use the Annual Percentage Rate of Charge (APRC) to compare products as this incorporates some mortgage-related fees in its calculation.

    If the best deal for you does involve fees, lenders will typically add this cost to the mortgage – meaning you could be paying interest on this money for the duration of your home loan. If you can afford to, consider asking your lender if you can pay this upfront.

    Compare other types of mortgage

    Did you find this useful?

    Last updated: 7 August, 2020