In 1939, Iowa Farm Mutual Insurance Company opened its doors in Des Moines, Iowa. In its infancy, the company sold liability insurance to local farmers. As the company grew and opened offices in other states, it expanded its insurance product line to include coverages for cars, homes and other types of property. Today, the company is known as Farm Bureau Financial Services and employs 4,000 field agents in Arizona, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Farm Bureau Insurance is known for its superior car and home insurance products. It also offers protection for your business, farm and recreational vehicles. There are 16 regional claims centers in Tennessee and over 350 claims professionals to help when you need it most. Fantastic coverage coupled with exceptional customer service makes Farm Bureau Insurance a popular choice for your insurance needs.
Farm Bureau insurance coverage options and discounts
Farm Bureau offers a full line of automobile coverage, including liability insurance, which covers the cost of repair or replacement of another person’s automobile or other property when you are at fault in an accident. Liability coverage also pays for the injuries of other people but does not cover the injuries of the insured.
Farm Bureau offers a wide array of insurance coverage, including:
- Comprehensive coverage for theft of or damage to your car not caused in an accident.
- Medical and no-fault coverages, which pay for your medical expenses following an accident, regardless of who was at fault.
- Uninsured and underinsured coverage, which includes the medical expenses of you and your passengers if an uninsured or underinsured driver is at fault in an accident.
You can also earn special discounts with Farm Bureau’s Driveology® program. Similar to State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save, Driveology® uses mobile technology to track your driving. You plug the device into your car’s OBD-II port and hit the road. The safer you drive, the more you save, with some users reporting up to 30% off their premiums.
Farm Bureau Insurance offers many ways to reduce the cost of your premium, including:
- Bundle your Farm Bureau automobile and homeowners policies through the Farm Bureau Member’s Choice program for a single deductible.
- The claim-free discount rewards drivers who do not have a history of insurance claims.
- Students who maintain a B average or higher may qualify for a good student discount.
- Drivers under the age of 25 may qualify for a safe driver discount with a good driving record.
- Low mileage discount for policyholders who do not drive more than 7,500 miles per year.
- Multiple car discount.
- Loyalty discounts for Member’s Choice members.
Ask which discounts you qualify for when you get a Farm Bureau Insurance quote.
Farm Bureau’s homeowners policies let you add coverages to protect your home, personal property and properties connected to your home. Guaranteed replacement cost coverage can pay up to 125% of your homeowners policy’s limit to repair or replace your home. With personal property coverage, you can protect valuable items such as electronics, cameras and jewelry.
There are other types of coverage for your homeowners insurance too.
- Residential equipment breakdown coverage can help pay for the replacement of air conditioners, computers, electronic equipment and hot water heaters.
- Other building insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing unattached garages, sheds or other buildings, along with their contents. This benefit kicks in if the damage or loss to an additional structure exceeds the $2,500 limit of your core policy.
- Umbrella coverage can protect you from liability if someone dies or sustains an injury on your property. Umbrella coverage takes over after you exhaust the liability limit on your core homeowners policy.
As with automobile policies, Farm Bureau Insurance offers policyholders several ways to reduce the cost of their homeowners policies.
- Bundling your policies cover all your possessions with a single deductible. If you bundle Farm Bureau car, boat and homeowners policies, one deductible will apply if all damage from the same calamity.
- When you buy a new home or replace the roof on your current home, you may qualify for homeowners premium discounts.
- Add a burglar alarm system to your home and you may qualify for a protective device discount.
- Renew your homeowners policy and you may qualify for a longevity credit.
Farm Bureau provides extended coverage for renters insurance with options that include more than the standard policy.
Farm Bureau renters insurance includes personal property coverage and:
- Replacement cost coverage, so you can replace your most treasured belongings.
- Actual cash value coverage, which will match the kind and quality of the time with consideration to depreciation and physical deterioration.
Farm Bureau ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
J.D. Power and Associates conducts an annual study of insurance companies and ranks insurers based on billing process and policy information, customer interaction, policy offerings, policy pricing and overall customer satisfaction.
In the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, Farm Bureau Insurance ranked number one in the Southeast and Texas regions, with five-star ratings in all categories. Farm Bureau of Indiana ranked third in the North Central region and Farm Bureau Mutual ranked 11th in the Central region.
The Better Business Bureau gives Farm Bureau Insurance customer service and claims an A+ rating. The BBB rates companies based on the number of consumer complaints it receives about a company, the size of the company, the way a company responds to complaints, the amount of time a company takes to resolve a complaint, whether or not a company makes an effort to resolve a complaint, a company’s complaint resolution rate and the length of time a company takes to resolve a complaint.
Most BBB complaints filed against Farm Bureau Insurance by auto and homeowners policyholders involve issues with billing and customer service. Consumer Affairs also shows cause for concern, with an overall satisfaction rating of just two out of five stars from consumers. Many complaints refer to the difficult quote process and the subpar customer service during claims filing. Additionally, many customers report issues with billing concerns like early policy cancellations and overcharges.
Reasons why Farm Bureau is a great option
Even though Farm Bureau services just nineteen states, it partners with other companies like Alfa Insurance, American National Insurance and Nationwide Insurance to provide discounted insurance to customers outside of its network.
There are extra perks for a Farm Bureau policyholder too. You can use your membership to receive attractive discounts for things like hotels, pharmacies, rental cars, farm equipment and even theme parks.
Farm Bureau is often the cheapest of most insurance companies, but some areas can be more expensive than the competition. Always price-shop your coverage before making a decision.
Remember, if you choose a Farm Bureau insurance quote for both your auto and home insurance coverage, you can bundle your policies for even greater savings. One premium provides an extra convenience in today’s busy world.
Additional policies offered by Farm Bureau
Most people want to protect more than just their home and car.
Farm Bureau has one of the largest selections of insurance products available, including:
- Farm vehicle
- Motorcycle and recreational vehicle
- Residential equipment
- Mobile home
- Term life, universal life, and whole life insurance
- Agricultural-related business, commercial business, and crop and livestock
- Home-based business insurance
- Disability and long-term care insurance
- Business succession, employee benefits, and workers compensation insurance
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a Farm Bureau car insurance quote?
To get a Farm Bureau insurance quote, the agent will need to know your age, the type of car you drive, how many miles you drive each year, your location and information about your driving record.
How do I file a Farm Bureau insurance claim?
You can file a claim online through the Farm Bureau Financial Services website, or by calling your Farm Bureau agent or the Farm Bureau national call center.
Does Farm Bureau offer investment products?
Besides insurance, Farm Bureau also offers annuities, mutual funds, retirement funds and college funds.
When filing an auto claim, how many estimates does Farm Bureau require?
If you choose an auto body repair shop in Farm Bureau’s Preferred Auto Repair Shop program, you only need to submit one estimate and Farm Bureau will pay the shop directly.