21st Century Insurance, a small operation serving the residents of California and Hawaii, is best known for its fast claim turnaround time and customer service. Most business is done online or over the phone, but as part of the Farmers Insurance Group, policyholders have access to 24/7 claims coverage backed by the award-winning Farmers Claim Services. 21st Century offers additional insurance products including homeowners, life and flood insurance, but car insurance is their bread and butter.
21st Century car insurance coverage options and discounts
21st Century offers two types of coverage: standard liability, which protects you against injury or damage costs when you’re at fault, and additional coverage, which protects against the costs of collision and non-collision accidents.
- Bodily injury liability – Pays for medical bills, lost wages or income, pain and suffering, and in some cases, funeral expenses.
- Property damage liability – If you’re responsible for causing an accident, this covers repair costs to another person’s vehicle or property.
- Collision coverage – Pays for damage to your car as the result of a collision with another vehicle. Once you have paid your deductible, this coverage will reimburse you for the cost of vehicle repair, regardless of whether or not you caused the accident.
- Comprehensive coverage – Protects you from loss due to non-collision accidents from theft, vandalism, falling objects, earthquakes, storms or animal-related collisions.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage – Protects you and your passengers (if any) if you’re injured in an accident by someone who is uninsured and held legally responsible for your injuries. This coverage pays for medical and other related expenses up to the coverage limits you select.
On average, drivers who switch to 21st Century save $300 and are eligible for one or more discounts, many of which are built in when you request a quote. 21st offers its customers two types of discounts:
- Good driver discount – Drivers who haven’t had tickets or accidents in the last three years may be eligible. To qualify, drivers must be licensed for three consecutive years and have not received more than one point for moving violations over that period. Average discount 20% or more.
- Superior driver discount – This discount is available for drivers who qualify for the good driver discount and maintain a safe driving record for at least four years. Average discount 10%-20%.
- Good student discount – Eligible drivers must be under the age of 25 and maintain a grade of a “B” or better. Average discount 15%.
- Mature driver discount – Drivers who are at least 55 years old must complete a state-recognized defensive driving course to be eligible for this discount. Average discount 2%.
- Multi-car discount – Policyholders with multiple cars or drivers on the same policy can benefit from this discount, but rates vary.
- Anti-theft discount – Drivers with vehicles equipped with up-to-date anti-theft systems are eligible. Average discount 15%.
21st Century home insurance coverage options and discounts
21st Century also offers homeowners insurance as an additional insurance product, though coverage and discounts are limited.
- 21st offers full replacement cost coverage for home and personal property.
- Policyholders have access to 24-hour online customer service.
- Several payment options are available to meet the needs of the customer.
- 21st Century auto insurance customers receive a 10% discount on homeowners insurance.
21st Century ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
21st Century Insurance has received average to high ratings from various reputable sources based on claims experience, financial stability, and customer interaction.
J.D. Power Claims Rating – 3.5 out of 5 stars (About Average)
This rating is based on the U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study (2018) and is calculated using information on 21st Century insurance claims experience. Those factors include overall satisfaction, first notice of loss, estimation process, repair process, rental experience, claims servicing and settlement. This rating should give you an idea of how the company will interact with you when handling your claim.
Business Bureau (BBB) Customer Satisfaction – A+ (Highest score)
This rating represents the BBB’s opinion of how the business interacts with its customers. Elements taken into consideration for this rating are business complaint history with BBB, type of business, time in business, transparent business practices, failure to honor commitments to BBB, licensing and government actions and advertising issues.
A.M. Best Rating – A- (Excellent)
This rating represents the company’s financial strength, or its ability to keep your assets safe and pay claims, based on its balance sheet, operating performance and risk management practices.
Satisfied customers enjoy 21st Century’s complimentary roadside assistance, an easy-to-use mobile app, and the efficiency of the 21st Century claims process. On the other hand, unhappy policyholders typically submit complaints based on billing and collections or issues regarding their auto policy.
Why 21st Century might be a great option for you
If you live in California or Hawaii and you’re looking for a simple, no-frills auto policy, 21st Century could be right for you. There are a multitude of discounts available and its A.M. Best rating ensures that your claims will be fulfilled in a timely and professional manner.
Insurance rates with 21st Century vary depending on factors like age, credit score, driving history, vehicle and location. On average, with good to exceptional credit, you can expect to pay be $1,363–$1,657 with 21st Century.
Additional policies offered by 21st Century
21st Century Insurance offers other insurance products through a group of affiliated companies:
- Manufactured/Mobile home insurance
- Specialty homeowners insurance
- Flood insurance
- Auto mechanical breakdown insurance
- Motorcycle and ATV insurance
- Antique auto insurance
- Boaters insurance
- Personal watercraft insurance
Frequently asked questions
How do I file a 21st Century Insurance claim?
To submit a claim, policyholders can submit online using their login information or call the auto claims department at 1-888-244-6163.
What is the 21st Roadside Assistance™ Program?
This program provides 24-hour towing, lock-out service and more for each car that a customer insures with 21st Century, at no additional cost.
What are my payment options with 21st Century Insurance?
Payments are accepted by ACH, credit card, debit card or money order.
What discounts are available in the states of California and Hawaii?
The following discounts are available to 21st Century Insurance policyholders in California:
- Good student discount
- Mature driver discount
- Multi car discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Superior driver discount
The following discounts are available to 21st Century Insurance policyholders in the state of Hawaii:
- Multi car discount
- Homeowner discount
- Claims free renewal discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Passive restraint systems
- Anti-lock braking system discount