Before applying for a small business loan, you need to prepare some paperwork. Here’s what you must do.
Fringe benefit is a term every employer and employee should know. Bankrate explains it.
What are fringe benefits?
Fringe benefits are compensation that is in addition to direct wages or salaries. They may include a company car, medical insurance, dental and eye insurance, paid holidays, pension plans, a housing allowance or subsidized meals. Certain fringe benefits are considered part of taxable income.
Offering fringe benefits is a way for employers to attract and retain top talent. Employees often accept or leave a job based on the fringe benefits that they receive.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that in December 2016, the average nationwide cost for employee compensation was $34.90 per hour. Wages and salaries made up 68.4 percent of those costs at $23.87 per hour, and benefits averaged $11.03 per hour and accounted for the remaining 31.6 percent paid by the employer. While these numbers represent the average, there are companies that go above and beyond to provide their employees with benefits. Some of the more dramatic examples include:
- Google: Free food for lunch and dinner, oil changes and car washes, massages and yoga, back-up child care assistance, a playroom, and $12,000 annual tuition reimbursement.
- Scripps Health: Bonuses across the board, tuition reimbursement, on-site massages, concierge services, and pet insurance.
- Deloitte: A sabbatical leave (four unpaid weeks) for employees to do whatever they wish without worrying about whether they will have a job when they return, and three to six months of partially paid leave to volunteer or to take part in something that will enhance their career.
Find the best city for your career.
Example of a fringe benefit
Fifty-seven percent of people consider fringe benefits to be among their top considerations when offered a job. Further, 4 in 5 workers said they would rather have new or better benefits than a pay raise. Employees surveyed named these as their five top benefit picks:
- Health care (40 percent)
- Paid vacation (37 percent)
- Performance bonus (35 percent)
- Compensated sick days (32 percent)
- Retirement plan (31 percent)
More From Bankrate
3 min read Feb 24, 2022
Bankrate’s guide to scoring the best deals on every item you’re looking for this Amazon Prime Day.4 min read Jun 16, 2021
Here’s a look at how taking paid time off can benefit your mental health and actually make you a better employee.5 min read May 27, 2021
New decade. New personal finance-savvy you.5 min read Dec 18, 2020
Out of work due to coronavirus? Here’s what you can do to help lessen the financial blow.11 min read Oct 28, 2020
Forecasts were wide-ranging when it comes to predicting how much damage the pandemic caused.8 min read Jun 03, 2020
That’s led the majority of economists to say risks are tilted toward the downside.8 min read Mar 04, 2020
Millennials plan to spend $208 for Feb. 14, compared with $152 for the average adult.7 min read Feb 10, 2020
The findings come at a time when job growth appears to be booming.7 min read Dec 19, 2019