Foreclosure filings were up 7 percent nationally from July to August. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these 10 states had the highest rates of foreclosure in August. Nationally, 1 in every 570 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 Foreclosures by State (as of August 2011)
- National foreclosure filing average:1:570 housing units.
- National average foreclosure sales price: $173,496.
|States*||Average price*||Ratio of foreclosures*||Rates*||Income tax*|
|$122,188||1:118||4.20%||No income tax|
|$237,625||1:226||4.17%||Varies from 1.25 percent to 9.55%|
|$130,800||1:248||4.22%||Varies from 2.59% to 4.54%|
|$121,077||1:346||4.13%||Varies from 1% to 6%|
|$142,303||1:348||4.15%||Varies from 1.6% to 7.8%|
|$121,466||1:376||4.17%||No income tax|
- *States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in August.
- *Average Price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- *Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac’s database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- *Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com’s Sept. 19, 2011, overnight averages.
- *Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.