May 11, 2015 in Insurance

Dear Insurance Adviser,
My disabled sister left the water running in the bathtub and caused a flood in four rooms in our house. Will I be able to claim it on my home insurance, or will I be denied for neglect?
— Michelle

Dear Michelle,
Your home insurance policy will cover this claim. There is no exclusion in any policy I’ve ever seen that excludes damage caused by “neglect” on the part of the insured. The only exclusion for damage caused by an insured person is for damage caused intentionally — clearly not the case with your sister.

Save on your home insurance — compare quotes from reputable insurers

A word of caution here: Although homeowners policies cover most kinds of interior water damage, many don’t cover damage caused by mold. So, when doing the cleanup and repairs, it is important to have a mold expert test your home for any mold. The only time mold is covered is when it is part of a covered water damage claim.

Good luck!

Ask the adviser

To ask a question of the Insurance Adviser, go to the”Ask the Experts” page and select “Insurance” from the drop-down box. Read more Insurance Adviser columns.

Bankrate’s content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate’s Terms of Use.