Credit Card Basics
The smart consumer selects the card that matches his or her spending and payment habits.
- Finding the card for your lifestyle
- Key questions to ask before signing up
- How do you plan to pay?
- Is a charge card same as a credit card?
- Read the fine print
- Cards on the Web
- Beware the scams
Here’s how to order and read your credit reports and how your credit score is affected by the reports.
- What is a credit score?
- Checking your credit report
- How to read a credit report
- How credit inquiries affect credit score
- How to fix credit report errors
You found a credit card with a great low interest rate. Good for you. Now, what about the fees?
- How finance charges are figured
- FAQ on fees
- How to avoid late fees
- Why your rates go up
- Hefty cost of going over the limit
- When is a ‘fixed’ rate not fixed?
You pay promptly and never go over the limit. But, do you know your consumer rights?
- Guide to reading your monthly statement
- Ask for a lower rate
- Step-by-step guide to balance transfers
- How to cancel a card
- Paying less than the minimum
- Lost or stolen card
- The high cost of ignoring your bills
Savvy spenders use credit carefully. Discover when it’s smart to pull out a card and when it’s not.
- Shop safely on the Web
- How to dispute a credit card purchase
- Charging your way to free travel
- Using a credit card to establish good credit
- Changing the due date on your credit card
Here are the cards best for first-time applicants, students and for those with bruised credit