Some of the offers below are no longer availabe.
If you own The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’re in for an additional credit-earning opportunity this new year.
Now through June 30, 2021, owners of the consumer Amex Platinum can automatically receive $30 in statement credits each month on eligible PayPal purchases for a total of $180 in credits by the end of the promotional period.
So long as you have an account with PayPal and connect your Amex Platinum card to said account, you’re set to receive any credits. Then, when you pay for eligible purchases with PayPal, you can receive up to $30 in statement credits each month for those purchases (in addition to the typical number of rewards points you’d earn).
Given that PayPal is a widely-accepted payment service, you should have no problem utilizing this opportunity, so long as you have a (free) PayPal account.
Which purchases are eligible?
Note that person-to-person payments via PayPal (such as to friends, family or direct merchant payments) don’t qualify for credits, as well as gift card and prepaid card purchases and any fees or interest dues associated with using PayPal.
A look at other Amex Platinum credit-earning opportunities
The new limited-time offer on PayPal purchases helps to enhance the value of this premium travel credit card despite its $550 annual fee. And it is one of a bevy of similar statement credit-type perks offered by the card, including:
- Up to $200 in airline fee credits annually
- Up to $100 application fee credit toward your Global Entry or TSA Precheck application every four years
- $100 onsite credit on qualifying hotel purchases (such as a trip to the spa); a minimum of a consecutive two-night stay with a brand in The Hotel Collection is required to earn this credit)
- Up to $200 in Uber Cash for rides and delivery; $15 per month and an additional $20 in the month of December
- Up to $100 for Saks Fifth Avenue purchases annually; $50 for January through June 2021, and $50 for July through December 2021
The bottom line
If you aren’t yet an Amex Platinum cardholder, the new PayPal credit-earning opportunity may be enough to push you over the edge toward applying. Just be sure you’d stand to benefit from the rewards structure of the card, which includes Membership Rewards points on U.S. gas stations, supermarkets, airfare, hotels and more.