Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » Who are the youngest billionaires?

Who are the youngest billionaires?

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Tuesday, June 5, 2012

You've probably heard of 28-year-old Facebook CEO and founder Mark Zuckerberg, but do you know who Dustin Moskovitz is? He's another 28-year-old billionaire. A Facebook alum who left the company to work on another start-up, he has an estimated net worth of approximately $3.5 billion, according to Forbes.

Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook

Who would have thought anyone could become a billionaire while still in their 20s without inheriting money? The Internet age has produced a new breed of rich, with Zuckerberg leading the pack. Even after the Facebook IPO, his wealth is estimated at $15 billion.

U.S. News and World Report recently published a list of the world's 10 youngest billionaires. Four of them are connected to Facebook.

Aside from Zuckerberg and his college pal Moskovitz, the other two Facebook billionaires are Sean Parker, 32, the first president of the company, and Eduardo Saverin, 30, co-founder, each of whom have an estimated $2 billion.

Fahd and Ayman Hariri, both in their early 30s, inherited their billions from their father, Rafic Hariri, the late prime minister of  Lebanon. Likewise, Scott Duncan inherited approximately $4 billion from his father, who founded an energy pipeline company.

The only woman on the list, Yang Huiyan, gained her billions from a wealth transfer from her father, who founded a high-end real estate company in China.

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Steve R.
June 07, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Wait about a year- you will see Zuckerberg get tarred and feathered by the stupid investors who gave him all their money, and when the stock completely tanks because Facebook is just another "fad", things will get really interesting. I hope Zuckerberg is using all his money to buy his own island surrounded by every conceiveable security measure, because he'll need it to fend off the invasion of angry investors.

Knowledgehunter
June 07, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Facebook is a monely making machine- why? If I asked anyone to let me in thier house and look at their family album or their address book, they would tell me to get lost. They would not even tell me their phone no or birthdate or friends names.
If I asked a any major corproate if they could let me see who thier customer base is,the customer name address, contact info, they would say F...off. Companies will not even share thier marketing stratgey.
But all the corportions and individuals are sharing things to facebook compnay that the would not share to people like me.
SO how do they make money they sell your information to companies and the compnay information to othr companies. They are making monely of stupid people who share info on face book and DUMB corproates that use them, Corporation who use facebook have no secret markeng plan or strategy.. hope they read this.
So that is why facebook is worth so much, they can sell infor from every corproation and every indivudal liberally telling facebook thier most intimate details.

albert walker
June 07, 2012 at 3:16 pm

dear mr. zuckerberg don,t wana seem to be begging but i once made alot,s of money i were hurt on my job of 11 years got my leg curshed and messed up my back now i,m on disability getting 698.00 amonth not enough to pay my rent but that job disabled me for life i got a wife and 3 kids i am 51 years old hard for me just to get up every morning please help.

yolanda
June 07, 2012 at 3:14 pm

He just came up with a ideal PEOPLE with ideals like that they have GIFT'S of hes own don't hate, I think it is a good ideal I THANK GOD IN AWAY FOR FB.. I can keep up with my family....Just as long as he don't forget where he came from!! and HELP THE POOR!.. THAT'S WHAT GOD SAID IF YOU ARE BLESS AND YOUR CUP RUNS OVER! AND GOD BLESS> MARK Z, AND THE REST OF BILLIONAIRES!!!

yolanda
June 07, 2012 at 3:08 pm

He just came up with a ideal PEOPLE with ideals like that they have GIFT'S of hes own don't hate, I think it is a good ideal I THANK GOD IN AWAY FOR FB I can keep up with my family....Just as long as he don't forget where he came from!! and HELP THE POOR!.. THAT'S WHAT GOD SAID IF YOU ARE BLESS AND YOUR CUP RUNS OVER! AND GOD BLESS MARK Z, AND THE REST OF BILLIONAIRES!!!

JT
June 07, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Mike, The money came essentially from speculation, other people's money, invested by funds, money managers and the like hoping that Facebook is the next Apple or Microsoft. Whenever a corporation is formed it issues stock and the founders, officers, investors, etc., get issued stock in that company. It might be worth very little at first, perhaps a penny per share!
The problem with Facebook is that it really has no revenue or potential revenue to support it's IPO price. It is a social networking site and the hope is (or was) that somehow all those subscriptions could turn into money from advertisers but nobody is really sure that Facebook is a good advertising platform. Add to tha,t people are spending less and less time on FB and it's subscriber rate is declining. FB will have to drastically alter who it is or it will fade away when something better comes along.
Until the industry figures out ways to generate revenue now and with the future technology these companies will run on hope and unproven ideas. But, like I said, everyone wants in on the ground floor so speculation will continue. For every Zuckerberg there are dozens and dozens that never made it!

Mike
June 07, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Honestly, I don't see how a simple Internet scheme can make so many people Billionaires. I am kinda curious about where all that money comes from? Not being a big facebook (or other) fan I guess I just don't see all that much money/revenue in advertising on them or paying for any of their service's... Obviously I am missing something!... I think its funny considering that if these people were dependent upon people like me to make their living they'd be Dumpster hopping Welfare cases. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHERE THE MONEY COMES FROM???

Andrea
June 07, 2012 at 12:57 pm

You forgot Christian Grey.

Bob
June 07, 2012 at 11:27 am

Female internet billionaires.. that are young...name one. Sandberg is in her late 30's...

Bill the Chef
June 07, 2012 at 11:25 am

Good for them. Rich people employ most of the rest of us. Wishing them broke or lamenting over their prosperity doesn't change our stations in life.
Look at the government and remember what our forefathers said, Punishing and overtaxing the rich simply for being rich does not help the poor. It simply creates more poor.Whatever happened to being entitled to the fruits of your labors. Even if someone hands you a million dollars, most people will be poor again anyway, unless they already have the business savvy to hang on to it!