Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » The most generous billionaire

The most generous billionaire

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One billionaire far outpaced any others last year in his generosity to charity: Warren Buffett. The 82-year-old chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway gave $3.09 billion, more than half the total amount given by the other 14 on the list of largest charitable donations, published by The Chronicle of Philanthropy.

Warren Buffett

Warren Buffett gave more than $3 billion to charity last year.

The top 15 gifts to charity totaled $5.1 billion in 2012, up from $2.6 billion the year before.

Buffett is putting his money where his mouth is. In 2010 he announced that he was giving 90 percent of his fortune to charity and urged other rich Americans to donate at least half of their wealth. Since then, his Giving Pledge, as the campaign is called, has attracted dozens of billionaires, including media tycoon Ted Turner and Oracle Corp. co-founder Larry Ellison.

Buffett's $3.09 billion gift last year was in the form of stock, to be divided equally among foundations run by his children. After Buffett, the largest donations in 2012 came from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, whose $498.8 million gift to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation will support health and education. No. 3 is Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, with a $300 million donation to the Allen Institute for Brain Science.

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

ruce N. Dowdy
January 10, 2013 at 12:38 pm

It's no surprise to me that America the richest Nation on earth, and with lot's of wealthy people, still has poverty on the level that we do. After these wealthy people supposedly give money away, and the people that run the foundations and whatnot get paid enormous salaries, not much gets filtered down to the actual needy people. Of course a lot of needy people are only those standing with a hand out wanting something for nothing, and will never work a day on their life ! They don't need to be helped, but again with the billions and billions that wealthy people have, they could really make a difference if they wanted to, and weren't just looking for publicity and trying to just fell warm and fuzzy !

Julia Moore
January 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I wish there were more people like Warren Buffett. I read an article that said "no one should die rich". Let your money do good works and you could sleep better at night!!

D-50
January 10, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I could sure use a mobility chair. I dont get around ! no car are van ether !

bill russ
January 10, 2013 at 12:02 pm

the rich got that way by taking chances years ago and are now reaping the benefits of those investments. That is the american way. Everyone had the same oppertunity. My wife and I relied on our home value for our retirement, the crash wiped that idea out in a hurry. I wish years ago I was as smart about my investments as people like buffet.

SARAH
January 10, 2013 at 11:47 am

How about sharing their fortunes with the homeless, by opening up shelters throughout the country, and also provide food and clothing especially in the winter. I don't think there are enough shelters available, and the number of homeless are increasing tremendously.

Lots of billionaires still "seating on the money"

Toni
January 10, 2013 at 11:45 am

I find it interesting as well "donation monies are controlled by Buffet's kids and Allen". This could also be called a simple "re-organizing" of funds due to new tax laws. Donation definition for me is when someone gives monies directly to say "Wounded Warrior Foundation". I didn't realize I could give money to my Son and call it a donation.

John C.
January 10, 2013 at 11:04 am

How about developing intelligent intersections.
Think of the fuel that is wasted stopping, idling, and accelerating because we missed a light?

How about remote Doppler detectors to monitor the flow of traffic on busy highways to alert the police to vehicles that driving outside the normal flow of traffic? That should save a few lives, and make traffic enforcement more relevant.

Sylvia
January 10, 2013 at 10:57 am

All of theese donation is very good but what if a person like mew who te bank is taking away my house want how can I get some help to save the place i call home for years,
The economic put a lot of us in ths pridicument at my age loss every thing today they said they are going to forcloes on me they dont want to help,

They want me to come up with money I dont have thats why a lot of stealing is going on time is hard idont know where to turn or who to turn to.

Michael
January 10, 2013 at 10:55 am

I believe that giving is good however I believe that the wealthy of this nation could do something much better. The influential people of this nation could pool their wealth and build a high speed railroad right down the middle of every major interstate in this country. The benefits would be tremendous. It would create jobs and contribute to a greener world just to mention a few. I for one would like to be a part of that project.

Michael
January 10, 2013 at 10:41 am

I find it interesting that the donation monies are controlled by Buffet's kids and Allen. The 501-3-C organizations are a way that the 1% launder there profits through non-profits to avoid taxes. The IRS should audit all these organizations, including congressional PAC's.